Getting started with Power BI for O365 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

We are happy to welcome you to Power BI for Office 365 forum. We look forward to hearing how you are using Power BI in Office 365 and what questions, challenges and suggestions you may have.

Here's the link to getting started guide for Power BI. You can find the list of known issues for Power BI for Office 365 here.

Best Regards,
    The Team

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:29 AM

All replies

• I need some help. When I get starting to provision, it says that the trial cannot be added to my already existing subscription, by which I think it means I already am subscribed. but I don't see power BI app in my office 365. I am stuck. How do I proceed?

help please.

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:05 PM
  • I am in the same boat. How can existing office 365 customers enable power bi?
    . It's not in the office 365 admin portal and will not allow sign up thought power bi site. We are allowed to add app via App Store but when I try to access it I get a "not licensed" message.
    • Edited by JimmyBL Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:42 PM Little more info
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:34 PM
  • I haven't started using Power BI yet, but one thing I am finding difficult is getting a definitive list of technology dependencies.  There are now multiple BI components available that use various incarnations of Office / SharePoint and, despite the plethora of documentation, it seems to be hard to hard to figure out what bits work together.

For example I have read both that Office 365 is only a cloud based solution and, elsewhere, that it can be 'on premise'.  If it is on premise, is it the same as Office 2013?

Does Power Bi work with both?  What version of SHarePoint would the on premise version work with?

Does anyone know of a single document that presents clearly, which bits work where and with what?

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:08 PM
  • I am in the same boat. How can existing office 365 customers enable power bi?
    . It's not in the office 365 admin portal and will not allow sign up thought power bi site. We are allowed to add app via App Store but when I try to access it I get a "not licensed" message.

Same here.........
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:09 AM
  • I think you have to buy it as like an add on through the pricing page...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/pricing.aspx#fbid=JdQlLRM1X8_

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/pricing/buy-bi.aspx#fbid=JdQlLRM1X8_

Click Buy Now in the page, you will be directed to the page to set up an account. 

However, I think you can sign in by using the current account via clicking sign in on the top of the page.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:51 PM
  • What is the road-map for Power BI? 

There some really needed features that will make it a complete package

Like:

1. Scheduled refresh for Power Query on SharePoint Online (Must Have)

2. More customization of charts

3. Addition of new charts

4. Row level security

and many more 

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:37 AM
  • So, it's been 1 year since nobody replied to this post. And i'm stuck also, as I have no idea how to "activate power BI" for my sharepoint. I don't even have it in the list of apps, under sharepoint sites...

Is it there where it should be? Did I not buy the right license for it? What license am I supposed to get in order to be able to use Power BI on sharepoint sites on an existing account?

I already signed up on the power bi website for a new account, and there I received a trial office 2013 pro plus, and a trail for power bi. But that didn't give me a license for sharepoint and for my mailboxes, as I already have an existing account with E3 licenses.

Thank you,

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:34 AM
  • The first thing to check is that Power BI for Office 365 licenses are visible in the O365 admin center and have been assigned to the users you wish to use Power BI.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 11:15 PM
  • Hi Sagar, I am facing the same issue. Did you find the answer? I have Power BI in my O365 subscription, but how can I see it on my SP Online site? It is difficult as I am trying to make a Power BI Site for external customers.
    Monday, July 6, 2015 11:30 PM
  • This probably belongs in its own thread as opposed to a reply to a moderator welcome message, but basically what you need to do is the following:

You should see Power BI for Office 365 listed in your health area

Next, go to your licensing for your user: Users | Active Users in left-hand nav and bring up the properties for the your user account and then click Licensing in left-hand nav. Make sure you check the box for the Power BI for Office 365 license. Note that if you already have a SharePoint Online Plan 2 license, you will need to click the drop down to expand the Power BI license section and then uncheck SharePoint Online Plan 2.

Now, a couple ways to get there. Go to the waffle icon in the top-left and choose "Power BI"

Over in the right-hand nav you should see a section called "Power BI Sites" and you should see a button for "explore site".

The other way is to go to your SharePoint Online site and in the left-hand nav you should see a link that says "Power BI".

A third way is to use the gear icon in the upper right corner and choose "Site Contents" and you should see a green "Power BI" icon.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:46 AM
  • Thanks, I am able to see it now. Many Thanks, appreciate.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 2:28 AM