Is there a transition guide for Existing Exchange Hosted Archiving (OVS) migration to Exchange Online Archiving (EOA under office365) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There, 

I have a customer who is on EHA under the OV subscription model, and their subscription ends in NOV.

we cannot purcahse EHA under OVS anymore and i understand it is being replaced by Exchange Online Archiving under Office365.

Is there a transition guide on how to perform the transition?

Customer is really reluctant to push down 200 mail boxes into PST and move it back up to EOA again.

Regards,

Eugene

Eugene Chee
    Friday, July 22, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Eugene--

The transition will be automated--they won't have to do that--but the guide isn't written yet to my knowledge.

I wasn't aware of the licensing issue, so I want to make sure this is taken care of. Could you please call support and request that this get escalated to me via GetHelp?

If they can't do that, please reply here. I check every couple of days.

Thanks,
    Mike O'Neill

Mike O'Neill, Product Manager: BPOS to Office 365 Transition
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:58 PM
  • You may be able to move this account under a SPLA partner to cover the transition period.  If you run into problems, drop me an email.  We may be abe to provide you some cover it if neeed under MS  SPLA license. 
    Matt Katzer, KAMIND IT | www.getoffice365now.com | www.kamind.net email: mkatzer@kamind.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Hey Eugene:

You may want to check out LiveOffice (my company).  We are sponsoring a webinar on archive migrations to Office 365.  Check it out here: https://liveoffice.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do;jsessionid=thJDTgRFMtK91pBYy26bX1pyypHs1q1v7XpPT88LX111W7NJhjlC!657118066?nomenu=true&siteurl=liveoffice&service=6&rnd=0.9537724535024383&main_url=https%3A%2F%2Fliveoffice.webex.com%2Fec0605ld%2Feventcenter%2Fevent%2FeventAction.do%3FtheAction%3Ddetail%26confViewID%3D823918778%26siteurl%3Dliveoffice%26%26%26

In this live webinar, our expert speakers will outline tips to help ensure a smooth migration to Office 365 for IT and end users. Plus, they will help you answer fundamental questions, including:

- How do we minimize email downtime during the migration?
    - Do we have the option of a phased migration?
    - How do we convert data from Lotus or GroupWise formats?
    - Is our current archive compatible with Office 365?
    - How can we eliminate our PST/NSF files?

-Dean Nicolls

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

I asked the same question in August, no reply from MS...

Contacted UK support yesterday to ask how my BPOS customers using EHA would have their archive transitioned to Office 365. Below is the answer, which is a real worry! Secondly, MS support advised that the MS partner will "refund" the OV licence costs (for the time remaining) as archiving is a cost option. The MS partner advises not! Some of my customers could end up with their subscriptions costs doubling...

Kind regards - Jon

"Currently we do not support cutovers from EHA or Continuity services to other services at this time due to the significant risk involved with cutovers from these services, including loss of access to archived data and potential inability to meet legal compliance obligations."

We will now close this case
    "

Hi All,

Presently, we use BPOS exchange and Hosted Exchange Archive within our organisation, including Hosted BES. The users make extensive use of the calendar and contact functionality of Outlook, I note from the additional services page, that plan 1 does not include "calendar and contacts experience". Does this mean that on plan 1, the existing calendar and contact functionality will not be available? If not, this will double the cost per user to use Plan 2?

On the EHA front, this service sucks, implementation is a nightmare, support very poor, should you establish an archive in EMEA, it might as well be on Mars as far as support is concerned. Members of the EHA team, added our domain to their blocked senders list so that we could no longer ask questions, e.g. when will our data be loaded? For the record, it took from December for April to get our mail back loaded into the archive!

Having been through this really bad experience, I'm really concerned there doesn't appear to be any information relating to the transition of EHA to Office 365. E.g. How will we buy additional archive licenses (this option has recently been removed from the buy Office 365 page)? Having paid for the forefront licenses, will we have to take plan 2?

Your thoughts will be appreciated....

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Eugene,

We're in a similar boat.  We're not sure what to do mainly because the cost to have all the BPOS services plus archiving cost $24/mo for each user in the Office 365 E-3 plan.  Whereas we get it about $13/mo with BPOS+EHA.  Granted you get other features, ie, full office 2010 professional, but we don't need office professional for each user!  We are considering E-1 plus liveoffice.com archiving service ($2.95/mo per user).  What sickens me the most is that our MS partner cannot get us additional EHA licenses!  We just received the O365 transition invitation last Friday, but we need to add BPOS accounts today!!!  I can't add them if I can't archive their messages!  MS left EHA subscribers behind and we can't operate!  This is even more reason to go to liveoffice or consider other hosting companies so I can switch today-- sooner, rather wait for MS to decide what they're going to do.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:05 PM
  • You need to look at the total cost.  E3 includes Office 2010 professional plus, which  if you purchased would be  287 a year or ~24 per moth

If you look at the office 365 cost of a E3 do not forget that you are getting

-          Office 2010 professional plus

-          Lync meeting/web conferencing

-          Full exchange w/ 25 Gb mailboxes

-     secondary archive mailbox

-          Sharepoint document site 10GB+

-          Disaster recovery 30 day window

-          Public web site

So you really need to look at apples and oranges.

In the case of EHA,  KAMIND is a SPLA provider and have a bunch of customers on EHA.  There are a lot of issues to be resolve  on the migration to the Office 365 Archive  (or anywhere else),  so you have time and I would wait before you make any decisions.

I would find a good MS partner that does both archive and office 365 and look at the total cost.   Asa MS office 365 partner, we like to find the best cost solution that is a balance for litigation/archive needs and cost solution.

Inthe case of some clients that have a Volume license, we can work with the EHA team under a SPLA agreement to address some license issues as a short term fix.

Matt k.

Matt Katzer, KAMIND IT | www.getoffice365now.com | www.kamind.net email: mkatzer@kamind.com
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Guys,

The real truth here is that MS have dropped the ball!

I'd love to know how I am to convince the customer who has just renewed 200 seats of Office Professional on a subscription basis (year 2 of agreement) that office 2010 will be the benefit of doubling their subscription cost due to MS forcing a move to Office 365....

Secondly, how will the EHA actually be handled, as Microsoft support say the EHA archive will not be ported onto Office 365, what will happen to the data within the EHA. Ultimately, the customer will not want to pay for two archives, therefore leading the cancellation and deletion of their information. In my customers case, it only took 5 months to load it in the first place!

I appeal to Microsoft, please, please, give some thought to these issues!

Jon

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Guys..

Here is the way the office 2010 professional plus pricing breaks down  (key terms)

-          SA – software assurance

-          L:  software License

So to have upgrades, you need to have a “L” part of the software current.  Typically you buy office 2010 plus as a SA + L (under voluem license), then at renewal time (3 years later), you must purchase the L portion.  If you currently have a SA + L, and are up for renewal, it comes down to two factors;  Pay $110 per copy (SA renew) or purchase a subscription at $144 per copy.  We recommend to our clients that if they have a SA+L, then it is cheaper to renew on a SA then purchase office 365 Office 2010 subscription

Here is the pricing breakdown (subject to change – you  need to verify the numbers – right range)

1.       Office 2010 pro plus (SA + L)  $287 per year for 3 year

2.       Office 2010 pro plus (SA + L)  $250 per year for 3 year (company wide)

3.       Office 2010 pro plus  (L) $110 per year for three years (company wide)

4.       Office 365 – Office 2010 subscription  - $144 per year  ($12 per month)

So it comes down to a business decision on which package is better for you.  For our clients we show them all of the numbers.  The larger clients prefer to have a monthly subscription expenses, so they do not have to capitalize the software.  Smaller clients – just depends.

Matt k.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Guys..

Here is the way the office 2010 professional plus pricing breaks down  (key terms)

-          SA – software assurance

-          L:  software License

So to have upgrades, you need to have a “L” part of the software current.  Typically you buy office 2010 plus as a SA + L (under voluem license), then at renewal time (3 years later), you must purchase the L portion.  If you currently have a SA + L, and are up for renewal, it comes down to two factors;  Pay $110 per copy (SA renew) or purchase a subscription at $144 per copy.  We recommend to our clients that if they have a SA+L, then it is cheaper to renew on a SA then purchase office 365 Office 2010 subscription

Here is the pricing breakdown (subject to change – you  need to verify the numbers – right range)

1.       Office 2010 pro plus (SA + L)  $287 per year for 3 year

2.       Office 2010 pro plus (SA + L)  $250 per year for 3 year (company wide)

3.       Office 2010 pro plus  (L) $110 per year for three years (company wide)

4.       Office 365 – Office 2010 subscription  - $144 per year  ($12 per month)

So it comes down to a business decision on which package is better for you.  For our clients we show them all of the numbers.  The larger clients prefer to have a monthly subscription expenses, so they do not have to capitalize the software.  Smaller clients – just depends.

Matt k.

Matt,

I agree with you.  This is a great deal for customers who are upgrading into Office 2010, but the E-* plans don't fit the needs for every company unfortunately.  Our company has Office 2010 licenses already so we wouldn't take full advantage of E3 just to go after archiving at $24/mo per user.  We've decided to opt for E1 and move to liveoffice.com for archiving.  This makes our monthly costs about $14/mo.  My disappointment isn't so much that MS has the perfect plan for our company, but that they discontinued EHA licenses before companies can migrate/make a decision.

- A

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Guys,

The real truth here is that MS have dropped the ball!

I'd love to know how I am to convince the customer who has just renewed 200 seats of Office Professional on a subscription basis (year 2 of agreement) that office 2010 will be the benefit of doubling their subscription cost due to MS forcing a move to Office 365....

Secondly, how will the EHA actually be handled, as Microsoft support say the EHA archive will not be ported onto Office 365, what will happen to the data within the EHA. Ultimately, the customer will not want to pay for two archives, therefore leading the cancellation and deletion of their information. In my customers case, it only took 5 months to load it in the first place!

I appeal to Microsoft, please, please, give some thought to these issues!

Jon

Jon,

I'm currently a EHA and BPOS customer.  I am going to subscribe to liveoffice.com, have BPOS journal my messages there, and then begin migrating my data over before I migrate to transition to Office 365.  I can do this now and take control of my archiving situation instead of waiting for a damn transition date.  My monthly costs per user will remain the same (~$13/mo per user). 

Liveoffice did a demo today and to be honest, its much better than what EHA is providing.  They will take a hard drive from you and inject the data.  I am still waiting to hear back from EHA on our options to extract the data.  Every time I ask EHA a question it always takes several days for them to respond.  Needless to say I'm switching as soon as possible.

- A

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Should you choose to migrate off EHA and move your archive to LiveOffice/Symantec - this link details the EHA Fast Pass Migration Program.

http://bit.ly/EHAFastPass

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:53 PM