none
Deattach excel report from MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

I'm having the next problem, when I try to send to thid party people generated reports from my project file, they need the project file to open the dynamic table in the excel file.

They receive this message:

"file system error, error opening local cube "C:\Users\Appdata\Local\Temp\VisualReportsTemporaryData..."

It's possible to make the excel file work alone?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:20 PM

Answers

• BLACKWOLF88,

Is the problem simply that other users cannot even open the Excel file or is the problem that they can't edit anything in the file?

Unless you are doing something strange when you save and send, other users should at least be able to open the Excel file whether they have Project or not, at least it works for me. I took a simple project file, exported to Excel via Visual Reports (I did not use the "Save data" button in the lower left corner of the Visual Reports window). I then copied the Excel file to another machine that does not have Project. The file opened fine but was not editable.

To make an Excel file that can be edited, I used the following process

1. In Excel, select any cell in the table

2. On the ribbon select PivotTable Tools > Options > Tools group > OLAP tools > "Convert to formulas"

3. Save and send that file to the other users.

There may be other ways to convert, but this works for me. Hope it helps.

John

• Marked as answer by BLACKWOLF88 Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:45 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Hi BLACKWOLF88,

I just generated a visual report by selecting one of the excel template, I then clicked on View (Instead of clicking on "save Data" ) then I saved that excel file and shared to some one who doesn't have Project installed in their machine. They are able to open this excel file fine without any issues.

Rajkumar Allepu (MCP) , | https://sharepointprojectserver.com ** Please mark it as answer if my answer would resolved your issue.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:08 AM

All replies

• Any help with this issue? 

Please!!!

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:45 AM
  • BLACKWOLF88,

Is the problem simply that other users cannot even open the Excel file or is the problem that they can't edit anything in the file?

Unless you are doing something strange when you save and send, other users should at least be able to open the Excel file whether they have Project or not, at least it works for me. I took a simple project file, exported to Excel via Visual Reports (I did not use the "Save data" button in the lower left corner of the Visual Reports window). I then copied the Excel file to another machine that does not have Project. The file opened fine but was not editable.

To make an Excel file that can be edited, I used the following process

1. In Excel, select any cell in the table

2. On the ribbon select PivotTable Tools > Options > Tools group > OLAP tools > "Convert to formulas"

3. Save and send that file to the other users.

There may be other ways to convert, but this works for me. Hope it helps.

John

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Hi BLACKWOLF88,

I just generated a visual report by selecting one of the excel template, I then clicked on View (Instead of clicking on "save Data" ) then I saved that excel file and shared to some one who doesn't have Project installed in their machine. They are able to open this excel file fine without any issues.

Rajkumar Allepu (MCP) , | https://sharepointprojectserver.com ** Please mark it as answer if my answer would resolved your issue.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:08 AM