The last USB device you connected... RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a message in my notification area - "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I have no USB devices connected to my desktop tower and haven't for some time. How long will this notification continue and is there any way I can stop it?

Joseph

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:29 AM

All replies

•   Can't you simply delete the message? I have never had any problems deleting messages.

Bill

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:16 AM
  • Hi Bill -

All day yesterday the icon sat in my notification area of my taskbar. Nothing I would do affected it - I removed all USB device drivers in Device Manager, I made absolutely sure there were no USB devices connected, I restarted Windows (both Win7 host and Win10 in VM) several times. Any kind of click on that icon would pop up the error message - and no setting in Notification Settings affected it. So, after a month of this behavior with no resolution from any action I took, I figured I'd ask the forum.

First boot to Win10 this morning saw no icon and no notification. Sweet! Thought I had it licked just by asking the forum. Second boot, though, and the pop out message and icon returned. I get the pop out every 30 seconds for about 5 seconds - very annoying. I had to go into System-Settings-Notifications & actions and turned off "Show app notifications" to get the pop-out to stop popping out - but the icon is still there (right or left click the icon and the message appears with no options except to "close" the window). Device Manager shows no errors or warnings.

BTW, it takes twice the time to boot up Win10 as it does Win7 on my desktop computer. Win10 takes anywhere from 2-4 times longer than Win7 to shut down. Maybe the error message and boot/shutdown times are related. A couple months ago I installed Win10tp on a boot SSD in dual-boot setup with Win7. I fully expected the naked Win10 to smoke the fully loaded Win7 in boot time. Not so! Win10 took almost three times as long to boot as Win7. After some tweaking, I was able to get Win10 to boot in just over 1 minute, which is still slower than my Win7 that boots in 25-30 seconds.

It's possible that the USB error message problem is between Win10 and the VMWare Player VM in which it is operating. I've not tried VirtualBox VM. I'm still planning on upgrading when Win10 comes out officially tomorrow. But I'm holding on to a mirror of my current Win7 just in case.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:30 PM