none
MS Project Dependency management RRS feed

• Question

• How can I manage dependencies on MS Project. For instance, I have Task A, B, C.

Task A is mandatory to complete.

Task B,C are both optional where a project manager can evaluate the benefits of completing these tasks and drop them if necessary. For instance, if Task C is dependent on the outcome of Task B, and for some reason, the project manager decides to delete Task B from MS Projects, is there a way to indicate that we can no longer do Task C?

Reason for asking: If we delete the task, the dependency just gets deleted.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no such way to do exactly what you require. You can always use the note field to add comments on tasks. I also suggest that, if you think task B might be removed, to keep task C, you also add task A as predecessor for task C. More generally, if tasks are optionnal, make sure that other tasks have no unique dependency on thos optionnal tasks. 

Even if it is generally not a good practice, you can also use a "start no earlier than" constraints to indicate successors' earliest start dates.

Another way would be to group optionnal tasks under a summary task (if it doesn't break your WBS logic) so you keep them visible.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hello,

a suggestion: Before deleting, you could check successors. Either with the path feature:

Or you just use a filter on predecessors before deleting.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:00 AM