none
Azure VM DR solutions? Loss of Primary Data Centre

Question

• Would be grateful for some advice… Information on the Microsoft Azure site is a bit hit-and-miss due to out-of-date articles, and constant enhancements, so Backup/ASR/DR are all a bit ambiguous, and there’s a number of related posts in Technet

1. I am backing up a VM to a GRS backup Recovery Services Vault (UK South -> UK West). Can I restore that VM from the Vault to a different region? (Documentation, and practice suggests no). The suggestion is to do it manually with Azure Powershell?
      1. See 2. Where and how will I be able to see my backup vhd file? An article suggested that the backup (vhd) would be accessible in the event of a failover?
    2. What actually happens, given that I have a VM GRS backup, and the Primary Data Centre is destroyed? What does Microsoft do – the suggestion is that Microsoft revert to the Secondary Data Centre.  What does that mean for me – does Microsoft stand up my VM? What if my VM has an associated fixed Public IP address? Does Microsoft switch the Primary IP address range to the secondary Data Centre?
    3. I have played with Azure-Azure DR (Preview) which looks good (although I do have a ticket outstanding with Microsoft, re-this)
    4. I have also played with Azure-Azure-ASR (Preview), but managed disks aren’t supported
    5. So, right now, what’s the best current solution for an Azure VM DR, in the event of loss of the Primary Data Centre
    Monday, November 06, 2017 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

1. Currently you cannot recover a VM in another region from GRS backup copy.

2. By using GRS enabled vault, even if the primary region goes down, Azure Backup service will ensure that all your backup data is made available for consumption. The same public IP address for primary region might not be available. Using the data, you might have to rebuild the application.

3. Could you please send an email to Sujay.talasila@microsoft.com regarding your outstanding ASR ticket.

4. Managed disk support with ASR is work in progress and will be available soon.

5. ASR is the recommended solution for configuring DR for your applications running on Azure VMs.

Thanks,

Sujay

Monday, November 06, 2017 1:17 PM
    Owner
  • Hi John,

1. Currently you cannot recover a VM in another region from GRS backup copy.

2. By using GRS enabled vault, even if the primary region goes down, Azure Backup service will ensure that all your backup data is made available for consumption. The same public IP address for primary region might not be available. Using the data, you might have to rebuild the application.

3. Could you please send an email to Sujay.talasila@microsoft.com regarding your outstanding ASR ticket.

4. Managed disk support with ASR is work in progress and will be available soon.

5. ASR is the recommended solution for configuring DR for your applications running on Azure VMs.

Thanks,

Sujay

Thanks for that, but further

2. "Azure Backup service will ensure that all your backup data is made available for consumption"

What form does that take? A vhd that can be restored as a VM? Will I be able to go to the Azure Portal, locate it, and restore it?

3. Will do: REG:117101716508491

5. That was my question.. ASR and DR are both Preview, and ASR doesn't support managed disks... so what is 'current'?  I do like the Azure DR offering and will probably end up going with that.

Thanks, John

Monday, November 06, 2017 1:37 PM
  • 2. "Azure Backup service will ensure that all your backup data is made available for consumption"

What form does that take? A vhd that can be restored as a VM? Will I be able to go to the Azure Portal, locate it, and restore it?

[Sujay] Yes

5. That was my question.. ASR and DR are both Preview, and ASR doesn't support managed disks... so what is 'current'?  I do like the Azure DR offering and will probably end up going with that.

[Sujay] You can use ASR now if you are using non managed disks. Managed disk support for ASR will be enabled soon.

Thanks,

Sujay

Thursday, November 09, 2017 12:11 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, unfortunately that doesn't really answer the question.

1. Solution architects and providers have to provide DR and BCDR documentation, but there is not enough information provided by Microsoft (that I can find) to determine what happens, what we have to do, and in what timescale to stand up the solution, if the primary data centre is completely lost

- a case in point is the current issues with UK datacentres (occurred in the US and Australia too) regarding starting de-allocated VMs - approx. 6 hours before an alert is not really good enough.

2. As stated - DR is in Preview just now and I'm using Managed Disks, so that is not yet a solution for me.

John

John Z Taylor

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:20 AM