Start menu not opening in Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a 2016 RODC, and after some Windows updates the start menu no longer opens, the search doesn't open, and the notification side bar doesn't open. I tried all the tricks that were used with Window 10 to get them to work again, but no dice. 

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Friday, January 6, 2017 4:54 PM

All replies

• Have you tried a different user account? Does it work with that?
    • Proposed as answer by hagen brown Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by hagen brown Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by hagen brown Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:47 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Try to restart the server in Clean Boot, and Safe Mode, check to see if the Start Menu and Search work.

Besides, if the problem happens after Windows Update, try to uninstall the update one by one and check the result. 

Remember to back up system state/important data before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Firewall services has to be Start and running Mode
    Monday, January 9, 2017 5:47 AM
  • So to reply in order:

I had tried a new user account prior to posting to no avail.

Safe mode made no change to the functionality, and as far as updates are concerned the only ones that list in the Installed updated field are KB's 3206632, 3199986, and 3192137 the later 2 cannot be uninstalled as per Windows they are required.

The firewall service is running, so no issue there.

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hopefully right click on the start works, open a Command Prompt (Admin). Try;

sfc /SCANNOW

see if that finds and fixes anything.

Monday, January 9, 2017 5:52 PM
  • I`m having the same issue, the quickfix I have found is to switch the start menu mode from fullscreen to normal.

Rightclick on the taskbar, select START en toggle fullscreen mode
    After switching the menu works again.

It seems fullscreen Start is broken, switching to fullscreen while logged on works.
    But when logging off and logging on, the start menu stops working..

Having this issue with several 2016 installations (patched or not) at this moment..

Quickfix for now ; don`t use fullscreen start menu

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:59 AM
  • I've tried SFC /Scannow a bunch of times, as well as DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and neither detect or repair any issues.

Tried changing start to full screen and still no response.

I also ran up a bare 2016 server joined it to the domain and put it in the same OU, it works without issue, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out a GPO based issue.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Got any virus scanners installed? Or other software that can be blocking the start menu.

I have only come across this one time before and that was a bug with McAfee and Windows 10. Now Server 2016 isn't Windows 10 but just check what you got installed.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:01 PM
  • None at all, this is actually still a fresh system, and has only just been promoted to an RODC. I wanted to get this issue cleared up prior to adding third-party software.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

You have mentioned that you had tried new user account. Try both local admin account and domain account, and check to see if there is any difference.

Besides, will there be an responding if you try to using keyboard shortcuts, such as “Win + X” and “Win + S”?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:38 AM
  • Win+X works, as well as right clicking on the start button. Win+S does not. I have removed and added the system to the domain so I could log on to the local Admin account and it made no difference.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

You have mentioned that another bare Windows Server 2016 has been joined to the same OU to check the GPO. Please compare below registry entries(including sub entries) on the problematic Windows Server 2016 with the bare Windows Server 2016.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

Note:
    Remember to back up registry before any change. it would be helpful for restoration if there is any problem happens after the changing.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:25 AM
  • Everything looks the same under \Explorer\Advanced Under Search I have a few things different:

On the RODC I Have the following entries:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search

Value Name:

JumpListChangedAppIds

Value Data: Microsoft.Windows.ControlPanel windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\JumplistData
    Value Name:
    Microsoft.Windows.ControlPanel

Value Data:
    1d26f48d69daa7f

Value Name:
    windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Value Data:
    1d26b35ffa6d3c2
    None of these keys or values are on the other bare server, so not sure why the difference.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have check these entries on my Windows Server 2016 (DC) which Start and Search are working, there are similar values as you mentioned.

If there is any system backup which was created before this problem happened, I would recommend you to have a system restoration. Or, you may consider of system reinstallation/migration.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Ok, a system restore, to before I joined the domain, made no difference.

I am also seeing in the event logs several errors like:

The server CortanaUI.AppXfbn8w4s0jbk3tjevpcn9kaxerc6rby8k.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
    Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.PreInstalledConfigTask contract failed with Server execution failed.
    etc..

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:32 PM
  • I`m having the same issue, the quickfix I have found is to switch the start menu mode from fullscreen to normal.

It seems fullscreen Start is broken, switching to fullscreen while logged on works.

Having this issue with several 2016 installations (patched or not) at this moment..

I have this exact same issue.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:45 PM

I have this exact same issue.
    are there any other solutions to this, is there a bug ticket with Microsoft or anything that they're addressing this issue with?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Hi BrouseARA,

Can you try to run this in Powershell and reboot your server?

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} --

If this will not work you can try these commands.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I would never run /RestoreHealth without running the /ScanHealth and /CheckHealth switches first.

Yeah, I've done both of those more times than I can count. I also mentioned that I tried all of the tricks that get it to work with Win 10, which is where I first encountered the above commands.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hello Brouse,

You can troubleshoot all you want, no matter how you handle it, the startmenu in 2016 is buggy as hell.

I´m running a 2016 Remote Desktop environment with one broker, two RDS servers and i RDGW.

If you even think about the using the GPO in: Users -> Admin Temp -> Start Menu and Taskbar -> Start Layout, all sorts a funky sh..  happens. 

(I exportet the start screen menu with the Export-startlayout cmlet)

The first thing that happens is, it looks all weird, nothing like the .xml file i just exportet.

Second thing, i thought i could trick it with the GPO:

Users -> Admin Temp -> Start Menu and Taskbar -> Force Start to be either full screen size or menu size (Force Full start menu)

It works like a charm if the GPO is off and the users edit the start menu for them selfs, as soon as you force it on with a GPO and turn on the "Start Layout" again an point to the xml file you have exported, its stops working.. wont even open the start menu.

I checked all the reg keys, i even tried it with loop processing mode in "merge mode" just to troubleshoot, nothing.

As i see it Microsoft needs to address this with a rollup, and fast! because its annyoing as hell!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Has anyone figured this out yet?

We found a post that kind of restored the start menu by doing this:

1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

2. Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} --

3. Delete this folder for each user: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer

The start menu starts working but our custom layout file doesn't apply any longer via Group Policy. We are having to do this almost daily. We switched to making desktop shortcuts for all the applications until Microsoft can fix this mess.

We did find this in the event log every time the start menu is clicked on:

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.14393.447, time stamp: 0x5819bf85
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1378, time stamp: 0x594a17be
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006d6abb
    Faulting process id: 0x1498
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3061a969cdfea
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: e52d7da4-47a8-45e6-8c49-97e8ed59b29c
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.1378_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5a2f
    Faulting module name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5a2f
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000174975
    Faulting process id: 0x1480
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3061a96a89c63
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Report Id: 7c440de5-55df-4cfb-8cf5-bb81ab5fabd0
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.7.0.14393_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Here is what it shows in the TWinUI/Operational log:

Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.Launch contract failed with Server execution failed.

• Edited by NETS_skincaid Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:12 AM Adding information
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:02 AM
  • Figured it out...

Most of the errors were Cortana and Windows Search errors. A little Googling and found in Server 2016, Windows Search is disabled by default because it can cause issues with clusters and other high level configuration options.

In a standard RDS deployment, not an issue so we set it automatic, started it and the event logs errors went away when launching the start menus. A bonus, the start menus actually launched.

There was another app error from our admin account related to the start menu and we had to fix that by enabling "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" in Group Policy. Poor Start Menu and integration design by Microsoft on the Server 2016 side.

• Proposed as answer by NETS_skincaid Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by BrouseARA Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TheBloodyAlien Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:02 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:19 AM
  • Hi NETS,

I had already tried setting search on and tried setting local sec policy to run in admin approval mode. In the mean time since I started this tread, I have replaced the RODC with a standard DC, and deployed 2 other 20116 DC's. All 2016 Domain Controllers exhibit this behavior, while none of the other 2 dozen or so 2016 servers do.

I have placed these servers in an OU where no GPO's apply, and created a custom Default Domain Controller policy that applies only to those DC's and have had no luck so far.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:08 PM
  • This one worked for me - 
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:26 PM
  • Hi. Please try this. It worked for me

https://justforadmins.blogspot.com/2016/09/fixed-windows-10-start-button-does-not.html

• Proposed as answer by Erik Pierik Monday, June 18, 2018 11:48 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 4:13 PM
  • Open Run... and type "ms-settings:personalization-start"

Uncheck Show more tiles and uncheck Use start full screen.

Thats it.

• Proposed as answer by Kiwistevo Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:38 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:53 PM
  • Incredible that this is even an issue. Tried everything suggested without success. What are you guys doing in Redmond? Inexcusable. 
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Hi

We have 14 RDS Hosts. This issue has been intermittenet. It seemed to be resolved pre spectre patches and then returned. I beleive its when a user changes which host they are on. User profile disks also contribute to this issue. It occured with 1 user with administrator rights logged on so I dont believe its a performance/load issue.

When it does happen %localappdata%\Packages only has 1 or 2 folders present. It should have 15.

I wrote this script

$packages = Get-ChildItem -Path "$env:USERPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages"

if($packages.count -lt 14){

$apps =  Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path "C:\Windows\SystemApps","C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel","C:\Windows\PrintDialog","C:\Windows\MiracastView" -Include "AppXManifest.xml"

Foreach($app in $apps){
    Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$app" -Verbose}
    }
    Else{
    $null}

This should correct he issue it needs to run in the user context.

Please reply if this resolves the issue for you.

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:22 PM
  • For me, Matts solution worked.

Same thing - RDS hosts. Randomly - usually 2 at a time - servers start menu will not open anymore. We are using profile disks. In my case the Packages folder has 15 subfolders. But executing only the install part of Matts script fixes the problem. Let's see - for how long.

• Proposed as answer by hagen brown Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by hagen brown Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:07 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Corrupt domain user profile on Win2016 caused similar issue for me.

To resolve, recreated domain  user profile on Win2016 server: user called <corruptuserprofile>

1. Login to server with a different admin user account.
    2. Delete c:\users\<corruptuserprofile>
    3. Navigate registry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    4. Examine each SID entry for "ProfileImagePage REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\users<baduserprofile>"
    5. Delete SID entry.
    6. Logout
    7. Log in as user <corruptuserprofile> to generate new profile

Issue resolved.

Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:00 PM
  • Using GPO, I set this script to run at login and used loopback to only apply it to our RDSH server farm and so far it seems to work. When it needs to run, it finishes in about 5 seconds.

• Edited by ssh-pvi Monday, July 23, 2018 8:44 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 8:42 PM
  • For me, Matts solution worked.

Same thing - RDS hosts. Randomly - usually 2 at a time - servers start menu will not open anymore. We are using profile disks. In my case the Packages folder has 15 subfolders. But executing only the install part of Matts script fixes the problem. Let's see - for how long.

Well. My fun ended. The script worked once.

After a little while the start menu problem re-apeared. If i run the script again, i receive a bunch of IO Exception errors on installing most of the AppX apps, and the problem will not go away. Restart does not help.

One thing i noticed. When i press start button - then in the USERPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages   folder for a moment (maybe 1 second) gets created "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n…" subfolder. And then I disappears again. So it led me to believe that maybe it's a cortana related issue. But disabling cortana did nothing...

• Edited by McWax Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:11 AM
  • This did it for me!

I should've guessed it was a corrupt profile. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:00 PM
  • The first command on Powershell works to me. Thanks!
    Monday, September 3, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Worked in my situation as well.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Thanks Matt, your solution worked for me as well.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

does anyone got another solution?

Nothing of this worked for me. I'm getting a non working start menu on several 2016 Server all the time. This is not connected to a single userprofile.

If I try to re-register the windows apps (Matts solution) I get AppX-Package Error:

Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.

It is not possible to open any "ms-settings*" application like windows-update or Setting Application. Am I the only on who got this issue? Restoring the OS from Backups can't be the solution all the time :(

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:04 AM
  • FYI, the above script did not work for me; there were already 15 folders in the $env:USERPROFILE\AppData\Local\Packages location.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

after researching for hours I found a issue in the registry with the Windows Firewall, even if the Windows Firewall was turned off.

Try to execute this commands in PowerShell, this worked for me. About 10 seconds after executing the commands the start menu should work again, if the problem is the same that I had.

Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System" New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System

Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Hi!

I had the same issue.

Rename or delete 

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Friday, December 7, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Copy over

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppReadiness

from a working 2016 Server (ignore the errors that system has some keys open.

reboot delete the user profile and login as a new user.

Friday, December 14, 2018 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

after researching for hours I found a issue in the registry with the Windows Firewall, even if the Windows Firewall was turned off.

Try to execute this commands in PowerShell, this worked for me. About 10 seconds after executing the commands the start menu should work again, if the problem is the same that I had.

Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System" New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System

This is crazy, but this is THE ONLY solution that worked for my servers. Before I applied this in <g class="gr_ gr_61 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="61" id="61">powershell</g> I went to this location in the registry and waited over an hour for the records to load until I gave up. Then I applied it and the start menu started working.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 11:21 PM
  • This is the only solution that worked for us. All others failed. 

Most items in the Start menu reappear except the old 16 bit program references which do show up for Administrative accounts logged into these servers. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Incredible that two years later this is still a thing. One of my RDS servers suddenly stopped showing the menu. Reading through this thread, I started by enabliing the search service and that magically fixed it. However, I also followed the link to go create default rules for Applocker.

This did start after I enabled app whitelisting on the server (they're still being configured, thankfully) to keep my users from spreading every virus and ransomware known to man...

Of course, just because it works now doesn't have to mean it will continue to do so., Time will tell.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for this, fixed my problem immediately. Well done.

Scott S.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 2:12 PM
  • Scott,
    Can you verify what fixed your problem? There are multiple solutions in this thread.
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:44 PM
  • Clarkry, were you able to get a resolution?  Like you noticed, many users have posted the "fix" but I'm somewhat hesitant to just make changes as there's not a specific agreement for the true solution with the start menu on 2016 RDS.

Thanks.

Ken

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:38 PM
  • Having the same problem with a recently deployed RDS 2016 farm...  CTRL-ALT-END to sign the user out and when they log back in, things are fine.  A fix would be nice.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:32 PM
  • CorbettEnders69, have you tried the PS script from earlier in this post to see if it works?

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:56 PM
  • I have not as our packages folder contains 15 items.

Friday, March 22, 2019 3:19 PM
  • That's a different script that solves the packages folder issue.  Like you, I'm not seeing the reduction in the packages folders for any of my users when they drop access to the Start Menu or the Taskbar.  I did run the other script last night and rebooted the RDS box.  So far, I've heard of no issues from my users.

Ken

Friday, March 22, 2019 3:55 PM
  • This worked for me!  Thanks!
    Friday, March 29, 2019 8:12 PM
  • SOLUTION:

Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System"
    New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System"
    Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules"
    New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules"
    Remove-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notifications" -Recurse
    New-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notifications"

RESTART SERVER

• Proposed as answer by _z0rg_ Friday, August 23, 2019 5:55 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 6:50 PM
  • Matt's script has been fixing this for me. Thanks!
    Monday, April 1, 2019 3:42 PM
  • Regardless of qty of packages (we seem to have 15 consistently), the replacement of the ShellExperienceHost is what fixes it.  Any user with a broken menu can run this command and the menu is fixed in their session live.

Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

So we are going to actual set roaming profiles to delete at log off.  This will clear out that folder completely.  Then the folder %localappdata% should get rebuilt (the local doesn't roam) and hopefully the problem will go away.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:55 PM
  • It worked for me. Thanx
    Sunday, April 21, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Mine was simply fixed by creating a new profile.  I had noticed that my profile was over 500mb in size (which is probably why it didn't load quickly enough to display start menu).

Simply logged on as Domain Administrator, deleted the profile associated with my user account, logged back on and the new profile was fine.

• Proposed as answer by iamkl00t Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Not a solution. You’ll soon find it breaking again.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:40 PM
  • I've spent the better part of the last few months trying to find the solution to this issue.  I've read and tried many of the steps suggested by others in this thread.  Low and behold, it was a kid on YouTube who had the fix all along.  While this fix is for Windows 10, it works perfectly on Server 2016 Standard.  I'm sure Datacenter too.

1. Since the Start Menu is not working, open the task manager. 
    2. Click on File--> Run new task
    3. Type PowerShell, and make sure to check the box for "Create this task with administrative privileges”
    4. Click OK
    5. Run the following command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Problem solved.  Thanks to this YouTuber: UnionStarGamers

I can't post links.  I haven't verified my account yet.  

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:57 AM
  • We've ran into this problem on some occasions on 2012 and 2016.

What we found that fixed it was the Policy "Bypass traverse checking" under User Rights.  If there is only one account here, it will cause this issue.  Our fix is to add Authenticated Users to the policy.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:55 PM
  • The start menu on one of my Server 2016 Standard machines had stopped responding. Left clicking did nothing. Right clicking brought up the tasks menu, as usual. I had spent several hours trying various things which one always tries when something weird happens, without elaborating. Search worked, so I searched PowerShell, right clicked "Run as Administrator" (necessary) and executed the command you provided above verbatim, with cut and Control-V (paste) into PowerShell. It went to work rebuilding. After it was done, I clicked on "Start," quite frankly not expecting it to do anything. It worked... Fixed! Great tip and thanks to your YouTube guy.

I thought I would post a comment so others could try this fix. I would be curious to know what happened to cause this problem. There was obviously some corruption issue.  Any input as to causes would be appreciated. 

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:24 AM
  • The registry backup and import  was the only fix that worked for me.

Pull reg keys from working RDS server, clicked start menu after importing the keys and showed after a few seconds.

• Proposed as answer by bolkware.de Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:30 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 6:30 AM
  • SOLUTION:

Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System"
    New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System"
    Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules"
    New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules"
    Remove-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notifications" -Recurse
    New-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Notifications"

RESTART SERVER

in my case this worked

• Edited by _z0rg_ Friday, August 23, 2019 5:53 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Ok guys, I have tired so many suggestions here but none of them worked for me.  Here is my situation, I joined server 2016 to domain and start menu and search bar still working fine, but as soon as I promo it to DC and after the reboot, the start menu is missing and search bar is not longer working.  After endless research through online and I found article related to windows 10.  https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/48545-windows-10-start-menu-cortana-not-working-being-caused-gpo-2.html

I checked my existing 2016 server vs 2016 server DC and in fact the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES is missing HKLM\SOFTWARE on 2016 server DC.  Somehow, after joining the DC and reboot, the group is removed somehow.  After adding back the group hklm\software in the registry.  It is working right away. 

Also, it looks like event id 5973 and event id 1000 went away as well.

This fix also apply 2019 server DC as well.  I hope this will help someone in the future and save them weeks for try to resolve this issue.  Good luck!!!

Update:

So this fix seem to only fix temporary until the server is rebooted. And once you add the group back to the registry, it is working again.   Also, if I demoted the dc back to regular server, then start menu and search bar are working again with "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group back in the registry.

Does anyone know to good way to report this bug to Microsoft?

• Edited by Killachang Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:40 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:22 PM
  • It worked for me.

Thank you

Thank you, Falcon

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:55 AM
  • This worked for me!!! Sorry to wake the dead here, but I had to login and comment. This has been vexing me for months, tried lots of stuff as the other posters have. Even a fruitless case with Microsoft failed to fix the inop Start Menu issue. But the above script ran with admin via powershell worked right away for me. Do I know why? No. I don't know how electricity works either but I don't have research time; only barely enough for this comment..
    Friday, January 10, 2020 7:09 PM
  • Adding the problem user with Full rights to the HKLM\SOFTWARE key fixed the problem for me.

All Users were there with Read Only Access, but when I added the user who was using RDP to this Key specifically with Full rights, the Start Menu and Search bar now function.

Monday, January 27, 2020 1:55 PM
  • Remove-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System" New-Item "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System

worked like charm, thank you

• Edited by Milordas Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:07 AM
  • I logged in as a temporary administrator account, went to c:\users and renamed the corrupted profile (in case I needed to restore it)  I then re-logged in using the account with the corrupted profile and the start button was working again. However, an error message says that I'm using a temporary profile "we couldn't sign you in". I then log back out, log in as my temporary administrator profile and rename the corrupt profile back to its correct name. Log back in and the start menu is working again. (No profiles removed)

Just be aware that when removing a profile on Windows Server 2016 that you might have some important software running on your server that is using that profile. For example DirSync or another important application so just be aware of this!

Also, Sophos Lockdown is known to cause this. A work around in that awful situation when you can't open anything (start menu, powershell etc) is here:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/121928

Monday, February 24, 2020 10:52 AM
  • Running below on Powershell worked for me without reboot server

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} --

Monday, February 24, 2020 4:26 PM
  • thx a lot Matt, this did solve it for me as well, using Remote Desktop Manager connected to windows server 2016 version 1607.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 12:37 PM
  • THANKS

In my server: all users in D drive and this worked for me:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} --

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 10:02 AM