IE7 FAQ - 5600 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Q: What is Low Rights Internet Explorer?

A:  Low-Rights IE is one of several new features that is available in Windows Vista to help keep users safe. It is a defense-in-depth feature, meant to back up and support the many other security features. When users run programs with limited user privileges, they are safer from attack than when they run with Administrator privileges because Windows can restrict the malicious code from taking damaging actions.

Low Rights IE is turned on by default in the Internet and Intranet Zones.  Users may experience some issues accessing internet sites that run Active X controls.   Please see the Known Issues page for detailed instructions on working with Low Right IE (Protected Mode).

Q: Why do some links open in the wrong tab?
    A: If you switch tabs too fast while a link is loading, then you may run into this issue. We're aware of it, and it will be fixed in a future build.

Q: After installing Google Toolbar version 4, right click isn’t working.

A: This is a known issue and should be fixed by RTM. There is a previous version link that is available on the website that is available, below the Firefox download link.

Q: Why do some websites that use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) fail to display properly?
    A: IE7 does a better job than previous versions of implementing CSS standards. Non-standard CSS code that may have rendered without issue in IE6 has a chance to "break" in the newer version. This doesn't mean that sites have to totally rewrite their pages; they just may need to tweak the CSS a bit.

Q: When upgrading from XP, what happened to my IE settings?

A: It is a known issue that when you upgrade from XP SP2 with IE6 to Vista with IE7, you will lose any customizations that were made. It should be fixed by RTM.

Q: Why isn't Java working?

A:  Sun is working on a beta of Java 6 which is intended to be compatible with IE7.

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:07 PM

All replies

• There's so much chaff out there about whether or not to upgrade to Vista. Strong opinions on both sides, so it's difficult to get a handle on whether to or not. There was sooo much negative comment when IE7 was rolled out. We have a site at Divorce Recovery Suite and certainly don't want to invite any new problems. Are there any objective opinions out there?
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:20 PM
  • i think there needs to be a little bit more information, but hey, thats just me.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:04 PM
  • With no disrespect to Andrea Riversa and his post but I still believe Firefox 3 is the best browser ever. The amount of features you get in Firefox , just to mention the wonderful Gresemonkey Add on script which  helped me to download much needed music files from internet ( i will not name the site though ;)  )  and the capacity to download from multiple connections by tweaking the config page ( The same is possible in IE but you need to fiddle with the windows registry ) has made Firefox a hero to me..
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:31 PM