none
Hyperscale Edition - scale up/down using Azure Automation does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have switched to Hyperscale edition in a hope to be able to enjoy the fast scale up/down feature, as we have a single database that has peak hours with intense demand in contrast to very low usage during other periods of the day.

I have been using the runbook Set-AzureSqlDatabaseEdition (from Runbooks Gallery) for a long time with Premium Edition.

But this runbook does not run with the Hyperscale database. Actually, none of the other 3 solutions available on Runbooks Gallery for scaling up/down work with Hyperscale.

I have found many references that this operation can be performed using PowerShell scripts. Both Azure RM and Az modules seem to support the operation. But I can't make this work with on Azure Automation.

Basically, on Azure Automation, the errors I get indicate that the Hyperscale database is not found as a resource. Other runbooks complain that "Hyperscale" is not a valid Edition (only recognizing Basic or Premium as valid Editions).

Could you please provide a Automation runbook that can effectively handle scaling up/down a Hyperscale database? Or other alternative ways to automate this task without using Azure Automation?

Thanks

Claudio

Claudio SOXXIAL TECHNOLOGIES

Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. As of now there is no Automation runbook for this.

Could you please share this input on this feedback page. Azure SQL Database team takes a closer look at this page.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:25 AM
  • This runbook works:

https://github.com/taeyo/AzureDev/tree/master/AzureSQLDBVerticallyScale

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Hi Claudio,

This runbook is for Azure SQL Database. Does this solves your purpose for Hyperscale database as well.

Please confirm if this is what you needed. So that this would help other user as well, who are looking for similar runbook.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:08 AM
  • This entire topic is about Azure SQL Database - Hyperscale Edition.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Hi Claudio,

Yes, we are talking about Azure SQL Database - Hyperscale Edition. Just wanted to confirm whether the runbook you mentioned earlier solved your purpose.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

I hope the information provided for your concern is helpful. Please "Mark as answer" if it was helpful, so that it can help the other users with same problem.

If you need more information, please let us know.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I hope the information provided for your concern is helpful. Please "Mark as answer" if it was helpful, so that it can help the other users with same problem.

If you need more information, please let us know.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:49 AM