none
Two SCCM's - Boundaries question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Built a new SCCM box and down the track will be moving the old SCCM client to this new SCCM box.

At the moment I am building of the new box via boot media and the new SCCM does not have any boundaries set as I dont want to import anything from the Production environment.

I can build a device using the boot media, but I can not rebuild via the Software Center.

Question is, if I add a IP range for a new boundary on the new SCCM, will it import anything from the current Production SCCM that is still in use?

We will be using the Migration tool in SCCM soon to import all the data/config/TS/Apps etc.. to the new SCCM, but wont do the boundaries until we cut over to the new SCCM.

I'm worried about affect the production environment devices being import in to the new SCCM while I am setting it up.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Once all objects are migrated, we need to reassign your client in the new SCCM box.
    The script from Steve Thompson [MVP] could do this.
    For more details, we can refer to:
    https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-migration/

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Boundaries not included in a boundary group have no functionality.

Boundary groups only marked for content/service location only impact clients that are assigned to the site that the boundary groups exist in and thus having the same boundary groups in both sites is completely fine as long as there no overlaps for site assignment.

Thus, the only thing that you need to avoid is setting boundary groups in both sites to use site assignment.

Note though that boundary groups in no way affect what clients are seen or known by a site. Simply adding a boundary group doesn't magically make resource appear in the site. Resources are added to a site based on discovery and discovery alone.

Also, clients don't and can't reassign themselves automatically.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, May 10, 2019 1:01 PM