Desktop Setup - what does it does? RRS feed

• Question

• We have about 100 computers in workgroup and all users without admin privileges.

Before transition I'm required to run Desktop Setup (from download section in O365 portal).

The problem is that it requires admin rights to be run.

When I run it on my computer I saw the info that configuring Outlook is not necessary.

If so maybe we don't need to walk through all the PC in our office.

Assuming all the rest conditions are fullfiled (correct DNS records, software requirements etc) I'd like to know if I need to run Desktop Setup on every PC.

Does anyone know what EXACTLY Desktop Setup does?

Thanks 

Marek Kaszuba

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• It verifies that patches are installed and adds the appropriate trusted sites/intranet sites into IE prior to transition.  Post-transition, I believe it will also download the Office 2010 Pro Plus subscription version if your user is licensed for it.

www.insecurityinc.info

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:24 PM
  • I also have some questions about the Desktop Setup tool. I ran it on my Win 7 Pro laptop and it returned no configuration necessary for Outlook. I then ran it on my other laptop which is Windows XP SP3 and it shows the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant as an important update. I go ahead and click Continue and it finishes and says to restart. I restart and the desktop setup wizard appears and I go through the process again with it wanting to update the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant. This goes on and on. I tried this on another XP laptop and the desktop setup went fine and it said at the end it had been configured.

Do not know what is going on. All the laptops have the latest MS updates.

Thanks,

John Werner

John W.

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:28 PM
  • What have you done to troubleshoot?  Checked your event logs?  Checked a different user profile on the same machine?  Made sure you were a local Admin on the machine?

More details please (and next time please create a new thread).

Thanks in advance,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:27 PM