none
I am having challenges syncing data from an on premise MSSQL db and Azure Dbs

Question

• I have set up my architecture as described in this tutorial: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-get-started-sql-data-sync and even though Azure db can see my schema/tables from my on premise database but I still can't sync.

I get the following error: An unexpected error occurred while processing the request. Tracking ID: 'e62e1319-55cc-4ba3-a73a-79d62b91906b'

What could be the issue?

• Edited by Boss Baby Monday, October 30, 2017 2:29 PM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please examine the Event Log (Windows OS) entries on the box where you installed the SQL Data Sync Agent. Share with us what you find on Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->SQL Azure Data Sync Preview or Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Data Sync Service.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, October 30, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

The link to the logs from event viewer -> data sync are https://www.dropbox.com/s/iitr229q5c97dln/log.evtx?dl=0

So some brief context. I have an on premise Sql db and I want to sync its data with a new db I will set up. Currently I want the data to flow from my on premise database to Azure which doesn't happen. With a new database with one table (columns being id and name), I am able to view the schema on Azure and I am able to sync. But with my database (which has several tables and data), I can only see the schema. Syncing produces the error: An unexpected error occurred while processing the request. Tracking ID: 'e62e1319-55cc-4ba3-a73a-79d62b91906b'

Kindly advise
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hello,

Could you please verify IP 197.248.237.30 has been added to the Azure SQL Database firewall rules?

Please do not use Basic tier to start the initial sync. Use Standard tier, in case you are using Basic.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

I had successfully synchronized another db on premise but that had one table with one record only. Let me check of I am using the Basic or Standard tier but again, I had done a successful sync with the exact same setup and only the db was different

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Hello Boss Baby. Did you manage to solve the synchronization issue?
    Saturday, November 04, 2017 12:19 AM
  • No I did not. I want to split off some tables into a smaller database (with 3 out of 25 tables) and see what happens
    Monday, November 06, 2017 6:15 AM
  • Why not using Transactional replication instead of Data Sync? In both the cases PK is required for the table and Data sync can sync only every 5 mins. Unless the data is changed in both the servers (bi-directional), I would suggest to use transactional replication from on-premise to Azure SQL DB.

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:02 AM