none
no link between activities RRS feed

• Question

• If I have run book that has multiple activities, and I don't use the link to link them.

In this case, they don't have dependency of each other, I just want all the activities run, no order needed.

Are those activities going to be executed at the same time? 

And the log will record all of them, correct?

Thanks,

SQLFriend

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:51 PM

Answers

• If you get a „Multiple start point“ error you have more than one „start“ activities in the Runbook. This can be also a missing link between activities .

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:18 PM

All replies

• As far as I know you have to link the activities in a runbook to get them running at all.

Even if there is no dependency in the execution order of the activities you have to link them.

One option to run all activities at the same time is to add a "Initialize Data" activity with no parameter configured and link all other activities from there (parallel).

This way all activities will start at the same time after the "Initialize Data" activity is done.

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Thank you, that helps.

For using initilaze data, can it be used after check schedule? or it has to be the first activities in the runbook?

I need to use monitor date/time then check schedule before I use the intialize data then use it to link all other parallel activities.

By the definition on microsoft site:The Initialize Data activity is a starting point for runbooks that require parameters from an Invoke Runbook activity. The Initialize Data activity is invoked by an Invoke Runbook activity.

It seems it can only be in a child runbook, is that right?

But in this case, I really do not need a child runbook, I want to put everything in one runbook and have the activities in it run parallel 

• Edited by msloy Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:07 PM
  • You can only use one starting activity in each runbook.

Initialize Data

or

Monitor

or

Schedule

If you are using a schedule than no "Initialize Data" is needed.

One of the activities above will be ok to start the runbook and from there you link all other activities.

---

An Initialize Data activity can be used as a starting activity without a parameter and can be used in different ways. Invoke Ruinbook ... as a manual input of parameter (if specified in the Initialize Data sctivity) or by a SCSM Runbook Automation Activity.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:28 PM
  • so check schedule can also has multiple links linked to other activies for parallel executing purpose?

I remember sometimes I got a multiple start point error? thanks

SQLFriend

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Yes :-)

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:08 PM
  • Thanks, I guess your yes is to the first question.

what about the  second:

so I remember sometimes I got a multiple start point error? thanks

SQLFriend

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:12 PM
  • If you get a „Multiple start point“ error you have more than one „start“ activities in the Runbook. This can be also a missing link between activities .

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:18 PM