Uninstall Native Flash Player on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• How uninstall adobe flash player 11 on Windows 8 Developer Preview , he come native... 
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can go to control panel\programs and features, then find Adobe Flash Player 11, right click and select uninstall.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:32 AM
  • If you are talking about the native Flash Player that comes with IE 10 in Windows 8 Release Preview (and will be there in the RTM), then to remove it,

go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash in Windows 8,

Click the blue "File" button in the top-left, which is left to all the Ribbon command categories, hover on Open Command Prompt > and then select Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Now for the dll and ocx file in that folder, type the regsvr32 /u commands-

regsvr32 /u Flash32_11_3_370_178.ocx

regsvr32 /u FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.dll

(press Enter after both commands).

(I haven't installed updates for Windows 8, so it is possible that there might be newer versions of these files offered with Windows Update - so there might be small difference in filename - please refer to your  C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder for the exact filenames).

If any command fails, ignore it (press OK in the error message) and continue. After this is done, delete the contents of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder.

DONE. Native Flash Player is un-installed.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can go to control panel\programs and features, then find Adobe Flash Player 11, right click and select uninstall.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:32 AM
  • By the way, Windows 8 RP has released several month ago, you can download it on:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download/

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:57 AM
  • If you are talking about the native Flash Player that comes with IE 10 in Windows 8 Release Preview (and will be there in the RTM), then to remove it,

go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash in Windows 8,

Click the blue "File" button in the top-left, which is left to all the Ribbon command categories, hover on Open Command Prompt > and then select Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Now for the dll and ocx file in that folder, type the regsvr32 /u commands-

regsvr32 /u Flash32_11_3_370_178.ocx

regsvr32 /u FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.dll

(press Enter after both commands).

(I haven't installed updates for Windows 8, so it is possible that there might be newer versions of these files offered with Windows Update - so there might be small difference in filename - please refer to your  C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder for the exact filenames).

If any command fails, ignore it (press OK in the error message) and continue. After this is done, delete the contents of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder.

DONE. Native Flash Player is un-installed.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Hello,

That does not work. Flash player is still there.

In control panel: type flash, and you can change options, but no uninstall!

I want it OUT of my system.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:41 PM

• Hi Alan!

Microsoft does not intent users uninstalling Flash, that's why there is no option.

I wrote a batch file which works for me (on RTM) in completely eradicating Flash. However, I do not know yet about any long term adverse effects. I also do not know if Windows Update will install it again once Microsoft releases a patch.

1. Login as user with administrative permissions.

2. Open notepad.exe, put the code below into it and save it somewhere as a file named kill-w8-flash.bat , for example.

3. Right click that file and select Run as administrator.

4. Done!

L.

::	kill-w8-flash.bat
    @echo off
    echo Batch file to kill Windows 8 integrated Flash
    echo Tested on Windows 8 x64
    echo.
    echo If you know what you're doing:
    pause

regsvr32 -u C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx
    takeown /f C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\*  /r /d Y
    icacls C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\* /t /c /reset
    icacls C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\* /t /c /inheritance:r
    icacls C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\* /t /grant:r %username%:f
    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed

regsvr32 -u C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx
    takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\*  /r /d Y
    icacls C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\* /t /c /reset
    icacls C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\* /t /c /inheritance:r
    icacls C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\* /t /grant:r %username%:f
    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\System32\Macromed

takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSXS\Manifests\*adobe* /r /d Y
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\Manifests\*adobe* /t /c /reset
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\Manifests\*adobe* /t /c /inheritance:r
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\Manifests\*adobe* /t /grant:r %username%:f
    del C:\Windows\WinSXS\Manifests\*adobe* /f /q

takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSXS\FileMaps\*flash* /r /d Y
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\FileMaps\*flash* /t /c /reset
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\FileMaps\*flash* /t /c /inheritance:r
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\FileMaps\*flash* /t /grant:r %username%:f
    del C:\Windows\WinSXS\FileMaps\*flash* /f /q

takeown /f C:\Windows\WinSXS\*adobe* /r /d Y
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\*adobe* /t /c /reset
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\*adobe* /t /c /inheritance:r
    icacls C:\Windows\WinSXS\*adobe* /t /grant:r %username%:f
    for /f "tokens=*" %%f in (
    	'dir /b C:\Windows\WinSXS\*adobe*flash*'
    	) do (
    	rd /s /q C:\Windows\WinSXS\%%f
    	)

echo.
    echo Done!
    echo Flash killed!
    echo.
    pause
    EDIT 2013-05-19:
    As I feared the method I described above is causing issues with Windows Updates, since it doesn't know that Flash was removed that way. Thus it offers an update to Flash now (KB2837385). Of course it fails to be installed.

I'm trying to solve this.

• Proposed as answer by lucas3F59 Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Andre.ZieglerEditor Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by lucas3F59 Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Andre.ZieglerEditor Sunday, April 7, 2013 6:15 AM
    • Edited by lucas3F59 Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:58 PM bug found
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:24 PM
  • @asklucas

this is not a good way. Tell Windows to allow the package to uninstall correctly:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:10 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks André!

I agree it's an ugly flub and I know that link from here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13434.remove-adobe-flash-from-windows-8-or-update-adobe-flash-in-windows-8-en-us.aspx

Where the complain:

<quote>This article was removed as it introduces serviceability concerns, only works on machines that meet certain criteria, and makes use of unaudited third party tools. (i.e. a disgrace to the community)</quote>

Therefore I consider it as valid an answer as Swapnil99pro's answer for those people who do not like »unaudited third party tools«*. Actually his answer inspired me to write the batch file.

L.

* As if M$ tools were audited...

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Ha, I just realize that Wiki entry I linked to was made by you!

Considering that M$ sold an unpatched and, at the time, unpatchable product your Wiki entry is critical! What a shame they revert it...

Since you've included German screen shots: are you German, Austrian or Swiss?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:17 PM

• Since you've included German screen shots: are you German, Austrian or Swiss?

I'm from Germany. But MS now updates Flash to Version 11.6, so there is no need to kill the preinstalled Flash any longer.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Therefore I consider it as valid an answer as Swapnil99pro's answer for those people who do not like »unaudited third party tools«*. Actually his answer inspired me to write the batch file.

I clearly don't understand "unaudited third party tools". Your file is a batch file (natively supported by Windows) executing sets of Windows' own tools (takeown, regsvr32, rmdir and also the rest of them). Where do the words "third party tools" fit in? At the best, it's simply an unofficial method.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 10:47 AM
  • your ways are both dangerous. Hard deleting files is bad. The tool I linked allows a PROPER uninstall of Windows packages!

Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:08 PM
    Answerer
  • @Swapnil99pro:

I'm sorry, I didn't state that clearly:
    Both your solution as well as my extension of your solution in form of a batch file are okay regarding not using »unaudited third party tools«.

However, André's solution is certainly the better one, assuming that the »unaudited third party tool« is knowing, what it's doing.

Please refer to
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13434.remove-adobe-flash-from-windows-8-or-update-adobe-flash-in-windows-8-en-us.aspx
    for further information.

That kind of flaming you'll read there is usually only common in German-speaking boards, haven't seen this in English to this extend.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Since that late dictator from Cupertino doesn't allow Flash on their mobile devices, I'm sure, it will phase out forever, being replaced by HTML5.

Anyway, in my company Flash, as well as Silverlight and Java, in the form of browser plugins, are forbidden due to security concerns.

I think this still is a good argument for killing Flash from W8.

Greetings from Austria!
    Here we also convert beer into code.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:18 PM

• However, André's solution is certainly the better one, assuming that the »unaudited third party tool« is knowing, what it's doing.

it changes values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing to allow DISM/pkmgr to uninstall those preinstalled packages.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 6:17 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello Andre!

Now I found a disadvantage of the brute force method I suggested:

Some Windows Update internal database still believes Flash is installed, thus offers an update to Flash now (KB2837385). Of course it fails to be installed.

It's not a problem, but annoying!

L.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 4:31 PM
  • that's why you should use the linked tool.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:57 PM
    Answerer
  • I tested the tool Andre recommends in his posts in this thread and it works well. I checked the source code, so now it's not unaudited anymore! ;-)

However I can't use it on some systems since it seems to require a .NET Framework prior to Version 4.

Now I wrote a PowerShell script that basically does the same as that tool. Unfortunately it still depends on PowerShell. It seems there is no native tool included in Windows 8 / 2012 that allows to change registry permissions. However, starting with Windows 8 / 2012 you can't remove PowerShell / .NET 4 anyway without losing lots of functionality.

First you need to allow running unsigned PowerShell scripts by calling:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Alternatively you issue the following commands one by one.

$acl = get-acl -Path "hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing"
    $inherit = [system.security.accesscontrol.InheritanceFlags]"ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit"
    $propagation = [system.security.accesscontrol.PropagationFlags]"None"
    $rule = new-object system.security.accesscontrol.registryaccessrule "Administrators","FullControl",$inherit,$propagation,"Allow"
    $acl.addaccessrule($rule)
    $acl|set-acl

Set-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384" -Name Visibility -Value 1
    New-ItemProperty -Path "hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384" -Name DefVis -PropertyType DWord -Value 2
    Remove-Item -Path "hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384\Owners"

dism.exe /Online /Remove-Package /PackageName:Adobe-Flash-For-Windows-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384

@Andre:

Would you now approve of this?

L.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:10 PM

• However I can't use it on some systems since it seems to require a .NET Framework prior to Version 4.

create a .config file (same name as .exe) and force the usage of .net 4.x:

<configuration>
    	<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        		<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"/>
        		<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"></supportedRuntime>
      	</startup>
    </configuration>

this should work fine for system with .net 2 or with 4.x installed.

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:07 AM
    Answerer