Can't connect to wireless network with shared key on Windows 8 RRS feed

• General discussion

• When Microsoft released Windows 8 Developer Preview, i installed it and I felt great, everything worked great. Later, Microsoft released Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but I could not use because I could not connect to the Internet. My router uses a shared key (WEP), but it seems that Windows 8 there is no option for Shared Key (WEP) as in previous versions.
    I tried Windows 8 and Windows 8 Consumer Preview Release Preview and I had to uninstall it because it could not connect to the Internet.
    Any solution? Thank you.
    PD.: I've tried all options, but nothing worked!
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does your network listed in the WIFi list in Windows 8 RP? If so, just click connect, it will prompt for typing password.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:19 AM
  • It isn't my problem. My problem is that when I try to connect, it says me that the configuration is incorrect. I did setup manually my network connection with the WEP key, but it don't worked!!

It seems that shared keys was removed in Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Please, microsoft, restore it!!! D:

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Join to request. Restore WEP SHARED KEY for Wi-Fi. 
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:55 AM
  • I have the exact same issue... why would you remove the "shared" option for WEP when Microsoft themselves for Win7 state that its either Open or Shared: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-security-key-for-a-wireless-network

If not shared, then is Microsoft saying to switch it to something else?

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:03 AM
  • I have this exact same issue.  My son has an older Xbox that does not work with the WPA encryption so with our new wireless router, we actually have both type of connections - our original, more secure WEP-SHARED and then the WPA-2.  Most of our connections (because hubby & I both work from home) go thru the WEP connection.  Now I just got a new Windows 8 computer and I can't connect it to our WEP connection because the SHARED option is not available.  It only Authentication type is "open" and that does not work with our configuration.  I really don't want to reset most of our devices to the WEP OPEN and I'm not even sure if my son's Xbox will work with WEP Open.

Please restore "shared"!!!

Friday, November 30, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

We don't recommend using Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) as your wireless security method. Wi‑Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) is more secure. If you try WPA or WPA2 and they don't work, we recommend that you upgrade your network adapter to one that works with WPA or WPA2. All of your network devices, computers, routers, and access points must also support WPA or WPA2.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Everyone knows WEP is weak, but we don't always have control over the networks to which we must connect.  You failed to answer the question and your opinion stating the obvious was not requested.  If you cannot answer the original question don't bother wasting people's time.

WHY must Microsoft be so consistently arrogant, unilaterally foisting myriad bad ideas on its customers?  Replace the Start button and menu, the control panel and other tools with which we've all learned to become proficient over the past decades!  What is the matter with you people?  

PS. If you think your new GUI is better, you are mistaken.  STOP WASTING OUR TIME!

Friday, December 7, 2012 12:11 PM
  • This is close to an INSULT.

The question was CLEARLY stated as "how do I make it work" it was not something like "what do you think the world should look like" 

We need to know HOW to connect to a network using WEP shared key not to know that WPA wold be more secure. The fact that we found our way in here should easily prove that we are likely to know the latter - and the question shows that we needs the answer to ...... tada "the question"

Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Some of the things we use are only compatible with WEP. We know it's weak, everyone does. The question is not what we should use, it's how we make it work. How can we connect to a WEP with a shared key in Windows 8?
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Lo único que se, es que borrare el sistema windows 8, su interfas es muy estresante, una perdida de tiempo y puras visualizaciones que no son de mucha utilidad para los que trabajamos. Deberían despedir al que se le ocurrió cambiar el botón INICIO, ha complicado las cosas. Se supone que Microsoft apunta a cosas mas sencillas no ha complicaciones innecesarias. Tendré que instalar el windows 7 que es un poco mas serio y sencillo.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:41 AM
  • So How do we connect I have a network at a school that has WEP shared key for wireless. We will upgrade this summer but for now we have over 100 devices that connect to WEP Shared Key wireless network.. Im not going to touch every device so a few windows eight laptops can run. Microsoft should have a fix for this.. Let me decide what security I want and when I want to upgrade it.. Just say we broke that part and we dont have a fix for it sorry. No need to give a lesson in security and  tell us how to trouble shoot a different encryption that no one even asked about. I will continue my search.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I don't give a damn what internet security you "recommend" us to use. Continuing this logic, can you buy me a new network adapter that supports WPA then? The thing is I've never run into any problems with WEP, I don't see a reason to change it. Windows 8 just gave me a reason to do this but this should certainly not be the case.

Like some posts above me point out, stop wasting our time and let us decide for ourselves what internet security we run. I'll ask again: How can we connect to a the internet with a shared WEP key in Windows 8? Give us the answer.

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Recommendations against WEP aside, what is the solution?  Yesterday I purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed.  I have spent many hours trying to set up my new system, including a long telephone call to the PC manufacturers 'phone support to no avail, and could not get past the WiFi setup and consequently could not even register Windows.  Finally, I discovered that there was no shared key option in the properties dialog, even though there is provision for WEP encryption and a field in which to enter a key??? 

If there is no solution, I must return my new computer to the store since the new laptop is but one of many devices on my network and a laptop without WiFi is useless to me.  Please help!
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:49 PM