Microsoft XML, v6.0 (msxml6.dll) and VBA RRS feed

• Question

• While testing an Excel workbook in Windows 8 Consumer Preview (build 8250) I got an error saying that "MSXML2.DOMDocument" is not defined. The workbook is currently running in Windows 7 without problems.

It happens that, in win8, Microsoft XML, v6.0 does not expose the DomDocument interface, only DOMDocument60; msxml6.dll version is 8.110.8250.0

On the other hand Microsoft XML, v3.0 exposes DomDocument, DomDocument26 and  DomDocument30; version is 6.30.8250.0

With other versions of Windows, like 7 and XP, both msxml3.dll and msxml6.dll expose DomDocument, DomDocument30 and DomDocument60, among others. We have some workbooks with v3, others with v6, always using the "basic" DomDocument.

Now, the question is: is 8250 a preview version of msxml6.dll, and it will be compatible in the final version?

Thanks for reading

RB

Friday, March 23, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I also suspect this is related to how excel file with VBA is designed. Please also check the issue in the following forum:

Excel for Developers
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is/exceldev/threads

Hope you can get satisfactory information there. If you have any questions or concern, you are also welcome to post back. Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:34 AM
  • I am having the same issue in VB6, Microsoft XML V6 exposed DOMDocument30 and DOMDocument in all windows version up to Windows 8 where it is failing.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:17 PM
  • And the answer is... nothing changed in 9200 RTM, no DomDocument in msxml6.dll nor DomDocument60 in msxml3.dll

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Exact same problem here (but using Access) and just downloaded and installed the most current version of Windows 8 Pro.  Switching to v3.0 and the Dom objects are exposed, but not in v6.0.

It's working fine in Windows 7 and prior.  Not in Windows 8.

Frustrating oversight by MS, especially since we have conveyed to our customers the committment by Kevin Turner about backwards compatibility in their quest for a sucessfull Windows 8 roll-out.

RB did you find a solution (other than reverting to 3.0 which does not appear to be a trustworthy solution).

Thanks

• Edited by Mike Hnatt Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Same problem here.
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Me too.

I have the same problem with, when I use MSXML2.DOMDocument in VBA on Windows 8 and include lib. Microsoft XML, v6.0. My VBA script shows the same failure: "MSXML2.DOMDocument" is not defined

So, I have to change include lib. to Microsoft XML, v4.0. Then my script works again.

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hello,

I just can't believe that there's absolutely no reaction from Microsoft regarding this issue.

In my opinion this is a breaking change affecting thousands of pieces of software out there being developed referencing the msxml6 type library just expecting that there's a DOMDocument present in exactly THIS library.

There's a bunch of software out that simply cant't get replaced references.

Some form of explanation or link to any kind of solution is much appreciated.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:15 PM
  • By the way,

the above link to the Excel forum isn't helpful in any way.

First, there's no single thread regarding this topic to be found.

Second, as others above stated as well, the problem is not isolated to excel, but affecting any single COM-based program, VBA-application or  whatsoever that was developed and shipped using a version of msxml6 present on operating systems older than Win8 or Server 2012.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:21 PM
  • I have same problem with VB6 application that references MSXML6.dll and creates objects DOMDocument40. The MSXML6.dll in Windows8 does not define DOMDocument40.  Previous versions did.

So to fix this for all our customers (in case they upgrade to Windows8) as far as I can see only solution is to rebuild app using only objects like DOMDocument60, and ship update to customers.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:16 AM