Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x800700D RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried severely to install new window on my laptop from boot-able usb drive but it keeps on saying "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x800700D". What I do to resolve the problem. Please I need help.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe you use corrupted ISO and it's the most possible reason.

Download again new iso, and use utility like windows usb tool to create usb bootable and install windows

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Merci de marquer comme réponse les sujets qui vous ont permis d'avancer afin que cela puisse être bénéfique aux personnes qui rencontrent le même problème.

• Edited by matteu31400 Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:07 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alvwan Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:31 AM
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Hello,

I have tried severely to install new window on my laptop from boot-able usb drive but it keeps on saying "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x800700D". What I do to resolve the problem. Please I need help.

Looks like corrupted or incorrect way of doing it. Don't know which version you want to install, but make sure that:

1. .iso image is not corrupt
    2. USB key formatted as NTFS (since e.g. install.wim might be >4GB, FAT32 has a max file size)
    3. The USB-key install partition is marked Active (using diskpart).

That's actually all you need to do to make it work. (Windows 7/2008R2 and later)

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:32 AM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, May 20, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Problem is your pendrive type is FAT32, so its file capacity maximum is under 4 gb 

may be Install.wim  file is 4 gb  that why you facing this problem

Try to convert your pendrive fat32 to ntfs 

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Changing the USB to NTFS does not fix this issue. I did this and still have the same error. I believe it is the size of the install.wim file and you have to split it into 2 files as it is over 4GB.  There are programs that do this, I believe I had to do this with Server 2012R2 as well. 

UPDATE: I used DISM to split the file and then I used UltralISO to remove the install.wim file and inject the 2 files I created with dism. Recreated the ISO and then used that to create a bootable USB.

This is now working

• Edited by Pam Mc Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:16 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:09 PM
  • Is there a way you can guide or help me. I fell into the same problem. I'm trying to Bootcamp my Mac to Windows10
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:22 AM