none
BizTalk in VDI Environment - VMware Horizon RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone experienced implementing local instances of BizTalk, SQL Server, and Visual Studio in a VDI environment? Main issue is the BizTalk component. I am unsure which user and database name to use on the master image, because this stays the same for every desktop that gets created in the pool. The created VMs do not even have network connection to the master image, so it of course fails out because it is trying to use the initially used username and password with the initial server (the master image).

I have been trying to use the local administrator account, but it is still using the name of the master image, thus specifying the administrator on just the master image server.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

Monday, January 6, 2020 10:37 PM

All replies

• We once implemented this kind of project using Amazon AWS Instances. The way we solved the problem is that the Master image will only have BizTalk installed but not configured. 

We prepared some scripts that Silently configures BizTalk once a new machine is built from that Master image. These scripts will take in some parameters to get the credentials from a credential store. 

All this process was automated using scripts, so setting up a new BizTalk server would be very fast, like under 1 hour or so.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:33 PM
  • Are these scripts accessible online? I have tried using the sys prep setup for new instances, but the sql databases and user accounts used for configuration are causing a world of issues. Thanks!

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:44 PM
  • Unfortunately no. The scripts are specific to my company.

However, it is not hard to build one. From a good working BizTalk server, you can export the configuration to an XML file. The script you build somehow should replace the usernames, passwords & server names etc. in this XML file on the fly and apply the configuration on the newly built machine (by running ~\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013\Configuration.exe" /s Configuration.xml). 

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:50 PM