none
Restore server from volume backup RRS feed

• Question

• Our system was the victim of an attack and all of our files were locked.  We were prepared for this in the form of a nightly backup to a system volume which I thought was configured for Bare Metal Recovery.  In reality I had critical volume backups configured for the OS volume and the data volume instead of "full server backup".  The good news is that our data is recovered.  The bad news is that I can't seem to restore the OS Volume as the primary bootable partition.  When I did a fresh sever 2011 install and pulled up the recovery wizard, I could restore the OS volume to space on the drive and it appears to be intact, but it is not my bootable partition and I did a few things to try and make it the active partition and ended up with a non-bootable system altogether.  I have 2011 installed again now, but does anyone have a suggestion on how I can restore the OS volume to be my primary bootable volume and get the server itself up and running like it was before the attack?

I did try to recover the server with the install DVD, but it kept saying that it could not find a system image to restore from.  The backups are on a USB connected WD My Book drive and I wasn't sure if this required a driver to be installed for the system restore to see the backup files and if it did which driver would it need, a usb driver or a sata driver of some type?  Any thoughts on that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks!

Monday, September 30, 2019 7:35 PM

All replies