none
Disk/Drive size mismatch

Dotaz

• Hello – Any insight with this would be appreciate.

About a year ago I replaced the 2 hard drives for my win7 os.  Both were 1tb –
    first drive is the boot drive and the second was just for data – the boot drive
    was having some sort of I/O issues so, I replaced both drive.  I replaced the
    boot drive with a 1tb drive – and since the second drive was just a “data” drive
    – I replaced the 1tb drive with a 3tb drive

after the new hardware installed, I started up the computer — I was able to
    clone the boot drive and win7 started up fine.

So now I wanted to format the second drive, but windows was telling me the the
    size of the second disk was just 768gb – I then reboot, when to the BIOS and
    that reported the drive as 3TB.

I then took out the 3tb drive and formatted on another win7 machine – creating a
    GPT and it formatted the full 3tb –

I then put that drive back in the computer and window now sees a 3tb drive,
    tools like testdisk and reflect  still see the size as 768gb, but will  use the 

formatted size of drive, 3TB

It seems to be working OK -- I was able to write files to it and last time I
    checked I was using more that 50% of the drive -- past the 768gb "hardware" size 

What do I need to do to have win7 find the correct size of the drive? Thanks

pátek 20. dubna 2018 14:02

Všechny reakce

• One might say that youre overlapping Win OS to the HD...Either way,most HDs come from the mfg in a "raw state"

& must be formatted & a new partition created...To edit,youre HD mfg has a MS-DOS utility that will configure drives to youre configuration,simply download to a cd,boot pc to cd,set this in BIOS,1st boot priority..Also,1-3 TB HD are a waste of user time,unless you need the space,to format 1TB,might take 3-4 Hrs,3TB 5-7 hrs....Also,disk manipulation/editing gets done in diskmgmt.msc  access from run or cmd,cmd also has DiskPart  simply key in the text,as with PowerShell...Also,the Quick Format isn't a true format,it cuts corners,use the above... 

sobota 21. dubna 2018 2:20
  • thanks for your reply  -- I  will look into that 
    sobota 21. dubna 2018 2:33
  • Hi,

I am wandering where did you check the size of disk in system? Use 3-party tools or something else?

And how did you format the drive?

The 3-party software is out of support, so it is suggested that you can use build-in tool to format or check the size of the drive.

You can use disk management to manage a drive and see the drive size.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

pondělí 23. dubna 2018 6:35
  • Hi,

I am wandering where did you check the size of disk in system? Use 3-party tools or something else?

And how did you format the drive?

The 3-party software is out of support, so it is suggested that you can use build-in tool to format or check the size of the drive.

You can use disk management to manage a drive and see the drive size.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hello – Thanks for your reply 

When I first installed the new drive into the computer and powered it up and got the 
    message to initialize the drive, it reported a size of   746gb – which did not make any sense since it is a 3TB drive. – I powered down the computer – removed the drive and used a second 
    computer initial and format it. The second computer read the full size of the drive 3TB. 

I then put the formatted drive back in the first computer – windows 7 and now the OS sees
    the full  formatted drive of 3TB –  

Macrium/Reflect UI reports the size as 746gb, but the graphic show the usage X/percent of 3TB

DISKPART   DISK also reports the size 746gb 

pondělí 23. dubna 2018 15:04
  • Check the support website for your system's motherboard as you may need a BIOS update or a system utility to properly recognize the full capacity of the HDD in Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

pondělí 23. dubna 2018 15:55
  • Check the support website for your system's motherboard as you may need a BIOS update or a system utility to properly recognize the full capacity of the HDD in Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Hello -- thanks for the  reply ...  When I first seen this  issue  i  rebooted the computer into the 

BIOS and the BIOS reports the size of the drive to be 3TB 

pondělí 23. dubna 2018 16:31
  • To confirm with you:

After formatting the drive, the disk management and diskpart shows 746 gb, while File explorer shows 3TB.

If I have any misunderstanding , please feel free to let me know.

It is suggested that you can try the  method mentioned below:

https://superuser.com/questions/889458/disk-management-shows-incorrect-volume-size

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

úterý 24. dubna 2018 1:32
  • Hello -- Thanks again for your reply --- almost -- 

after the drive was formatted to the full 3tb on a second machine, and put back into the first machine, 

diskpart reports the size at  746 gb 

diskmgt  reports the size at 3tb 

the curious part is were is this 746 number common from --- is almost the difference between  the max size of a MBR partition and the 3TB  size of the drive 

úterý 24. dubna 2018 3:02
  • Hi,

AFAIK, the diskpart command will query WMI in root\microsoft\windows\storage

You can run the script to rebuild the WMI repository.

Open run box and type the below command:

winmgmt /resetrepository

In addition, try to install the latest version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.

If nothing helps, do you mind to perform an in-place upgrade of your system to fix the problem?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista-windows-7-windows

It is appreciated that you can mark the helpful suggestions as an answer. Thanks for your time.

úterý 24. dubna 2018 7:27

Hello -- thanks for the  reply ...  When I first seen this  issue  i  rebooted the computer into the 

BIOS and the BIOS reports the size of the drive to be 3TB 

But, did you check for a BIOS update and/or a utility from the motherboard manufacturer?  Just because you see 3TB reported in the BIOS does not mean it is being reported correctly to the Windows operating system.  This was a very common problem when drives over 2TB were first introduced and the system BIOS had to be updated to accommodate the larger size of the drive.

Check the motherboard's support website for a BIOS update and/or a utility for drives larger than 2TB.

úterý 24. dubna 2018 10:18
  • Hello – Any insight with this would be appreciate.

About a year ago I replaced the 2 hard drives for my win7 os.  Both were 1tb –
    first drive is the boot drive and the second was just for data – the boot drive
    was having some sort of I/O issues so, I replaced both drive.  I replaced the
    boot drive with a 1tb drive – and since the second drive was just a “data” drive
    – I replaced the 1tb drive with a 3tb drive

after the new hardware installed, I started up the computer — I was able to
    clone the boot drive and win7 started up fine.

So now I wanted to format the second drive, but windows was telling me the the
    size of the second disk was just 768gb – I then reboot, when to the BIOS and
    that reported the drive as 3TB.

I then took out the 3tb drive and formatted on another win7 machine – creating a
    GPT and it formatted the full 3tb –

I then put that drive back in the computer and window now sees a 3tb drive,
    tools like testdisk and reflect  still see the size as 768gb, but will  use the 

formatted size of drive, 3TB

It seems to be working OK -- I was able to write files to it and last time I
    checked I was using more that 50% of the drive -- past the 768gb "hardware" size 

What do I need to do to have win7 find the correct size of the drive? Thanks

See the links suggested @ 3tb+ unlock windows 7 and you will see this was a very common problem for many motherboards.

How many times is it necessary to tell you about this before you will listen??

úterý 24. dubna 2018 11:54
  • thanks for that info --  I will check the link at 3TB info 
    úterý 24. dubna 2018 15:46
  • Even the drive size is not showing correctly in diskpart, it has not affected the use of the drive, isn't it?

If so, you don't have to dwell on the problem. Update the firmware will be a good choice.

Thanks for your time. 

If the suggestion did any help, please help us mark it as an answer to close the thread.

středa 25. dubna 2018 8:54
  • So much for a huge data HD,they are hard to manipulate & takes forever to format,servers default & multiple HD

arrays usually have HD are 100GB or less storage space..The faults in disk size is probably overwriting existing data.

To chk,one could/can download the HD MS-DOS utility,get from its mfg,boot pc to HD DOS cd,manipulate/format/etc..Or in Windows,diskmgmt.msc  gets you editing,or Power Shell & in cmd,type: DiskPart

list disk/list volume/type: HELP for all cmds.Cloning HDs in a Win OS security settings,try: XCOPY  or Robocopy

both are already installed via the OS...Kinda had the same problem in Win 7,trying to create a RAID 0 set,new HDs,but the OS refused to let the set be created,a smaller HD 500GB or less,always function....

středa 25. dubna 2018 19:28
  • Even the drive size is not showing correctly in diskpart, it has not affected the use of the drive, isn't it?

If so, you don't have to dwell on the problem. Update the firmware will be a good choice.

Thanks for your time. 

If the suggestion did any help, please help us mark it as an answer to close the thread.

Hello – At first it seem to be working OK – but about week ago the drive had some sort of hiccup and the partition table when way and the OS was reporting the FS as raw –  

Not sure what caused the issue, but my guess is that data being written to it past the 2.2tb limit of a 2TB drive — As noted, the size reported is 768gb which is close to the difference between the max size of a MBR disk and 3TB size of the physical disk.  The OS isinstalled by HP and I think there is BIOS update – which I will try to install.   

Not sure of some of the other suggestions  — Thanks for the help 

středa 25. dubna 2018 19:59
  • Hello – At first it seem to be working OK – but about week ago the drive had some sort of hiccup and the partition table when way and the OS was reporting the FS as raw –  

Not sure what caused the issue, but my guess is that data being written to it past the 2.2tb limit of a 2TB drive — As noted, the size reported is 768gb which is close to the difference between the max size of a MBR disk and 3TB size of the physical disk.  The OS isinstalled by HP and I think there is BIOS update – which I will try to install.   

Not sure of some of the other suggestions  — Thanks for the help 

The problem you are experiencing is caused by the HDD size not being reported correctly by your hardware to the Windows 7 operating system.  That's why you need a BIOS update and/or a utility to correct this.

You should be discussing this in one of the HP support forums or contacting HP directly instead of thinking this is a Windows 7 problem!

čtvrtek 26. dubna 2018 10:17
  • Hello -- Thanks for all the comments --- It seems that  my guess was correct about the 2TB  cut off point --- I  replaced the 3TB drive  with a 2TB drive and this time windows  "sees" the enter drive --- 

I guess I would need some sort of bios/driver update so  that window will "see" larger drives

pátek 4. května 2018 19:15