none
homework assignemnt help RRS feed

• Dotaz

• HI i was wondering if someone could help me here I have an assingment that say to Move the chart of accounts from the current Excel spreadsheet to a SQL database.
    Can some one explain how to do that is there away just to take the exisisting chart and move in to SQL server 2008?
    sobota 9. ledna 2010 17:25

Odpovědi

• I believe we cannot move the chart from the excel spreadsheet to  the sql database...

But as a chart is based on set of data, u can move that data to the spread sheet....

Keep that entire data in a seperate sheet. 

Now open your sql management studio, select the database that you want to move to..
    right click -> select Import data , it will open you a new window..

1. Select source type as Excel and select that file.
    2, Select Destination as your server name and database name.
    3. Then it will ask you to select the sheetname that data has, and in destination, u can specify tablename...

then click finish... your data in excel will import to the table name you specified....

sobota 9. ledna 2010 17:42

Všechny reakce

• We typically don't do 'homework' assignments for folks here. This resource is about 'helping' folks learn.

However, if you were to explain what you have tried, what didn't work, and how you think you should be able to do the task, we are quite willing to assist.

"You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    sobota 9. ledna 2010 17:39
    Moderátor
  • I believe we cannot move the chart from the excel spreadsheet to  the sql database...

But as a chart is based on set of data, u can move that data to the spread sheet....

Keep that entire data in a seperate sheet. 

Now open your sql management studio, select the database that you want to move to..
    right click -> select Import data , it will open you a new window..

1. Select source type as Excel and select that file.
    2, Select Destination as your server name and database name.
    3. Then it will ask you to select the sheetname that data has, and in destination, u can specify tablename...

then click finish... your data in excel will import to the table name you specified....

sobota 9. ledna 2010 17:42
  • HI i was wondering if someone could help me here I have an assingment that say to Move the chart of accounts from the current Excel spreadsheet to a SQL database.
    Can some one explain how to do that is there away just to take the exisisting chart and move in to SQL server 2008?

To All: chart of accounts is an Accounting term, it is tabular data, not "chart"

You can use SQL Server Import/Export Wizard to move the chart of accounts from Excel to a SQL Server 2008 table.

In Object Exploere right click on database --> tasks --> import data

Article link: SQL Server 2005 Import / Export Wizard

SSIS 2008 Wizard video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wmdhnx1niU
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS; http://www.SQLUSA.com
    čtvrtek 14. ledna 2010 6:52
    Moderátor
  • To do this in code:

INSERT INTO Mytab(col1, col2...)
    SELECT  col1, col2... FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Excel 8.0;Database=c:\sample.xls', Page1$) A

Some settings of OPENROWSET may be different, but that is the basic idea.
    čtvrtek 14. ledna 2010 14:30
    Moderátor