none
Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 400 (1394a, 6 pin)

Dotaz

• Dear Sirs,

I'm trying to connect an input device to an HP laptop.

The input device is Firewire 400 (1394a, 6 pin) and the laptop is Thunderbolt 2 (Intel/Apple).

The best I could find is to use an Apple adapter (Thunderbolt 2 x Firewire 800) + a Siig adapter (Firewire 800 x Firewire 400) to make the connections.

Although Device Manager sees the Apple adapter in the System Devices, it won't allow the signals to flow.

So, the 1394a port and the input device are not recognized in Device Manager.

I believe it all boils down to having the correct Windows 7 Pro 64 bit driver.

Can someone please direct me to the latest-and-greatest Win 7 Pro 64 bit Thunderbolt 2 driver?

If someone has experience with this setup, can you please advise me on how to make this connection, whether or not the driver is the issue?

Thanx ... Chris

pátek 18. května 2018 22:36

Všechny reakce

• Hi Chris, 

Since it's device specific, please contact HP support for help:

https://support.hp.com/sg-en

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

čtvrtek 24. května 2018 3:11
    Moderátor
  • Hi Kate,

Thanx for responding.

FYI: I already contacted Apple, and then spent 2 hours on a business solutions tech call to HP.

Apple told me they don't provide drivers, b/c all drivers for their hardware are built-into their MAC OS.

HP tech 'blew me off' saying they don't support non-HP-certified hardware. But HP doesn't certify any hardware for this application, so it's a circular argument that leads to no solution. They just can't admit to having added a TB2 port that is USELESS at this point.

That's why I came in here ... finally.

I'm looking for MICROSOFT drivers that will work with this Apple adapter on Win 7 Pro 64.

At this point, based on what you said above, EVERYBODY IS "PASSING THE BUCK'.

IOW: NONE OF THE INTERESTED PARTIES ARE MAKING ANY EFFORT TO HELP ME FIND A SOLUTION TO A CHALLENGE I DID NOT CAUSE, INCLUDING ALL INTERESTED PERSONS FROM THE HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE CORPORATIONS WHO CREATED THESE DEVICES AND SOFTWARE.

Where does that leave me?

Cheers ... Chris

neděle 27. května 2018 14:27
  • You're finding not any Microsoft drivers for your Apple adapter because Microsoft does not write any drivers for any third party hardware.  All drivers available in the Microsoft Update Catalog are published by the manufacturer and provided to Microsoft.

All hardware drivers are provided by the manufacturer for the operating systems they support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

neděle 27. května 2018 17:07
  • Well Windows/Microsoft OS needs to access youre plug-in,as Intel has always said,"The 1st software/driver" after the OS should be the pc hardware "Chipset" installation.This runs video/audio/networking/etc to configure to Windows..Get this from pc mfg,or the pc hardware mfg (Intel/AMD/etc) next might/should be storage controller if available.Intel uses Intel Matrix Storage software for Win 7/8/& some Win 10 OS..Thunderbolt2/Intel/Apple would be at:  intel/com/support/drivers-software/browse manual/ chipset software,or type in search for it..All current updates for youre pc would be intel.com  but to see older installations,go to youre pc mfg downloads,write down the controller data then enter at Intel/search...
    neděle 27. května 2018 18:35
  • Rick,

Thanx for the info.

I already tried getting the driver from Apple, but they won't give me any.

Their reason is b/c they have all their drivers included in their OS.

So there's no way MS Catalog will find any Apple drivers for this device to operate on Windows.

HP created the TB2 port, so they should have the driver.

But HP denies any responsibility for creating 3rd party drivers.

So WHO IS TO BLAME? I say BOTH corporations for doing a half-assed job in providing a TB2 port that isn't useful for much of anything that we need to use it for.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck w/a USELESS TB2 PORT on my HP workstation laptop.

DOES MS, APPLE AND INTEL EXPECT ME TO WRITE THE DRIVER FOR THEIR HARDWARE? WTF?!?

They all hide behind their corporate veil (i.e., attorneys) to escape liability for selling DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

That's where I'm at with all this.

It's bull shit.

pátek 1. června 2018 2:31
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanx for your input.

All my HP laptop drivers are up to date.

That's not at issue.

The issue is HP+APPLE+INTEL(+maybe even MICROSOFT).

NOBODY WANTS TO EXTEND A HELPING HAND.
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO PASS THE BUCK TO SOMEONE ELSE.

How convenient for these evil bureaucracies!

Tell me I'm wrong in my viewpoint.

pátek 1. června 2018 2:33
  • So you think Microsoft is responsible for supporting a bastardized implementation of an Apple interface?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

sobota 2. června 2018 16:29

• Look at Intel's site for the driver.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

neděle 3. června 2018 0:54