none
only numerics key 5 and 6 work and keyboard

Dotaz

• I have a user whose keyboard numeric keys do not work except for 5 and 6. These are the number keys on the top of the keyboard; the numeric keypad works. I did a google search on "windows keyboard numbers not working' and found a lot of people with the same exact problem, with only numbers 5 and 6 working. It does not appear to depend on the keyboard brand. People have tried swapping ports, swapping keyboards, updating drivers, but still have the problem. Could it be some weird key stroke combination is changing the windows keyboard settings? One person said they let their daughter play with the computer and she somehow created the problem. Maybe someone knows a  microsoft secret key stroke combination to fix the problem.
    čtvrtek 16. ledna 2014 14:28

Odpovědi

• I got the same problem today. Found in a forum that press and hold for while like 5 to 10 secs Control+Alt+Fn key (or Windows key instead of Fn) may solve the problem... to my surprise. it worked!!!!
    středa 26. února 2014 16:13
  • The user changed the keyboard and that fixed the problem. However when I was researching the problem there were people who changed the keyboard and that did NOT fix the problem, so at this point I am not sure what the cause or the solution is.
    úterý 18. února 2014 13:38
  • Is this the problem in Safe mode and also when you boot into DOS?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

čtvrtek 16. ledna 2014 17:13
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

• Is this the problem in Safe mode and also when you boot into DOS?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

čtvrtek 16. ledna 2014 17:13
    Moderátor
  • Sorry it took so long but I am still waiting for the user so test with a command prompt and safe mode. I will remind him again. He did try changing the keyboard but that had no effect.
    neděle 26. ledna 2014 19:24
  • Yes, let us know once that is tested.

pondělí 27. ledna 2014 13:45
    Moderátor
  • Any success?

čtvrtek 13. února 2014 6:11
    Moderátor
  • This is a great question and has had me perplexed for two years, and fruitless research so far.

Are there any clues please as to how to resolve?  I'm not certain how the comment re "Safe Mode" helps to resolve?

Similarly, I have tried all the options you've mentioned to no avail.

It is extremely frustrating not having a working keyboard as I have resorted to On-Screen Keyboard.

Many thanks.

pondělí 17. února 2014 21:46
  • Hi, would you be kind enough to elaborate on your comment please?

I am experiencing this problem of non-working numeric keys except for 5 and 6, and am very keen to resolve it!

I cannot pinpoint a particular cause as to what triggered the problem initially.  It has been a permanent state now for about two years.  It is very limiting and forces me to switch on the On-Screen Keyboard to access the full numeric keys, which on the downside, slows down typing.

I am very grateful for any clues to resolve!  Thank you.

pondělí 17. února 2014 22:03
  • The user changed the keyboard and that fixed the problem. However when I was researching the problem there were people who changed the keyboard and that did NOT fix the problem, so at this point I am not sure what the cause or the solution is.
    úterý 18. února 2014 13:38
  • Thank you for your response, and fortunate a solution was found for your user.

Unfortunately a change of keyboard has not corrected my problem; leading me to think it is software related, but that's all I can ascertain ...

středa 19. února 2014 1:58
  • I got the same problem today. Found in a forum that press and hold for while like 5 to 10 secs Control+Alt+Fn key (or Windows key instead of Fn) may solve the problem... to my surprise. it worked!!!!
    středa 26. února 2014 16:13
  • This one solved mind too

pondělí 3. listopadu 2014 18:13
  • Thanks! Worked for me too!
    úterý 23. června 2015 12:38
  • I can´t believe it worked for me too! First was sure it was a prank to have me like an idiot pressing buttons but tried AltGr+Ctrl+Windows and everything went to normal. Amazing trick, thanks mahmud1023
    pátek 20. listopadu 2015 17:33
  • Hi, I am having this same issue and have tried ALL of the above suggestions including holding ALT,CTRL, AND windows key. 

Please help. 

neděle 31. července 2016 5:51
  • Hi, I am having this same issue and have tried ALL of the above suggestions including holding ALT,CTRL, AND windows key. 

Please help. 

I think I know what is the real reason for this problem, at list in my computer. i'll just discribe the problem in my computer because I don't sure it's the same problem: only my 5 &6 numbers are working properly, but the other ones, including  down& right arrows and left alt working alternating. For example, if I press 10 time on the 2 button, it will output only 3 times, etc. it's varying, so the result is not always the same. 

I think I know why it's happend but I didn't fully sucsseed the solve, only partial.

It's happens because the keyboard layouts. I am using EN united states and Hebrew (modern)
    To solve this problem I switch my keyboard language to EN (britain) and Hebrew(regular).

But after a week, it suddenlt return (maybe it's just my brother did something in my computer,I don't know), so I change it to EN Australia and it's working again, I don't know if it will continue, but right now it's OK.

If someone know exacly how to solve it i I will love to hear it...

úterý 16. května 2017 15:05
  • It work's !, It works! I got same problem yesterday. Now it has been solved. Thanks!!!
    pátek 10. listopadu 2017 3:40
  • I do not have fn key

sobota 6. ledna 2018 18:05
  • Thanks! Worked for me too!
    pátek 12. ledna 2018 2:31
  • it didnt worked for me

sobota 13. ledna 2018 13:42
  • The Windows key worked instead of the Fn. However, what exactly did this do?
    středa 4. dubna 2018 18:48
  • What fixed it for me was pressing 1 and 2 keys together several times (like 5 to 10 times). Then they started working. Weird stuff.
    neděle 15. dubna 2018 0:17
  • similar issue and solution, 4 and 6 weren't working, pressed them together several times and now they are. Have no idea what the underlying issue is.
    pondělí 18. června 2018 9:55