none
connection info disappears every time i close and reopen solution

Dotaz

• Hi. I'm running vs2008. I cloned a package, added two conns and then tried to add them to configs which already had a few configs in , some using a sql table of conn strings.

While the pkg was open everything was ok.  The two new conns showed the familiar "I'm config'd" stripe and test connection worked.  But every time I close and then reopen the pkg, the conn string in the two new conns goes blank and most of the components show the familiar little red circle. 

when I edit one oledb ds in a dft with red circle in advanced editor, I see 2 error sections in the connection managers tab.  The first references error code 0x80004005 and says [ODBC Driver Manager]"data source name not found and no default driver specified".

in the second section it says The AcauireConnection method call to the connection manager "my conn name" failed with error code 0xc0202009.

I remember some confusing rules from way back about adding configs after the fact but don't know if that is related.  I looked at the xml code and don't see any difference in the conns and config tags (when everything is good), at least not one that would indicate they are being treated differently.  The only way I've found to make things look right while the package is open in the deaigner is to delete and readd the conns.  I've tried to delete and readd the configs as well but nothing seems to be helping.  I cant show too much here due to proprietary issues.

úterý 3. července 2018 21:31

Všechny reakce

• Hi db042190,

Sound like BIDS does not save the package changes successfully, you can open the .dtsx file with notepad to confirm it.

Please have a try following options:

1. Change the package protection level to password.

2. save package with Save Copy of Package as..

3. Use SSDT development tool instead of BIDS if possible.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

středa 4. července 2018 8:25
    Moderátor
  • Are there any expression/variables mapped to the connectionstring property?

What is the default protection level used for the package?

Are you using sql authentication based connectionstring (i.e username/pwd being a part of it)?

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

středa 4. července 2018 8:28
  • thx Pirlo and Visakh16,  I don't understand "save copy of package as" (as a different name?) but ...

1. ssdt is not possible as we must stick with bids on this 2008 version of vs on this particular development server

2. no expression/variables mapped to conn property, just sql based config conn strings

3. default prot level is encryptsensitivewithuserkey as it is with everything we have

4. we are not using sql auth

as I was showing this to someone we noticed the sql config conn strings on just the 2 new conns was updated to blank in the sql table from which configs are mapped.  We've seen something like this before, and concluded back then there is one scenario where ssis thinks its supposed to update your configs in your sql table even if you didn't ask it to do so.  I'll have to look back for that post to remember the particulars.

čtvrtek 5. července 2018 11:15
  • Hi db042190,

Sorry for the late reply.

-->>  I don't understand "save copy of package as" (as a different name?) but ...

Please have a look at following article:

Copy a Package in SQL Server Data Tools

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

středa 11. července 2018 7:57
    Moderátor
  • thx Pirlo.  I assume that article refers to BIDS also, not just ssdt like it says.  I don't know that it would have been relevant as the issue stopped occurring after we reset the configs in the sql table.  And that was after ssis somehow managed to blank them out.  Interestingly, it was just the new conns, not the ones that were in the pkg from the beginning. 
    čtvrtek 12. července 2018 11:22
  • thx Pirlo.  I assume that article refers to BIDS also, not just ssdt like it says.  I don't know that it would have been relevant as the issue stopped occurring after we reset the configs in the sql table.  And that was after ssis somehow managed to blank them out.  Interestingly, it was just the new conns, not the ones that were in the pkg from the beginning. 
    That means the issue was in assigning the config values from the sql table to the relevant properties within package. Anyways glad that now it got sorted put

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

čtvrtek 12. července 2018 11:24
  • that makes sense except that it was run a number of times and they were mapped correctly.  And when I saw the problem occurring, a number of times I deleted the conns, re added them, and saw that they were mapped correctly.  Very quirky.  And like Pirlo said, maybe I should get in the habit of assigning new guids when I clone pkgs.  That is assuming BIDS can do that also.   We are weaning off vs 2008 anyway in the coming months.
    čtvrtek 12. července 2018 11:35