none
Hyper-V Server 2016 (free core) working system disk spontaneously converts from GPT to MBR and entire disk becomes unallcoated

Dotaz

• I have been attempting to install the free Hyper-V Server 2016 onto a 128GB ADATA SP600 SSD in a system with a Gigabyte workstation MOBO (model ga-z270x-ud3) and BIOS set to UEFI with no CSM (compatibility support module). All disks, including the install media are formatted to GPT and UEFI boot. The install completes perfectly, Hyper-V boots up, works great for several reboots/power cycles, and both Diskpart and PowerShell confirm the disk to be GPT. However, eventually, within the range of 1 to 4 reboots/power-cycles, Hyper-V will no longer boot. The BIOS gives the error that no bootable media was found. Upon inspection of the disk with 3 different rescue disks/live OSes, diskpart, and PowerShell, all agree that the disk is now MBR and report the entire drive to be unallocated space. I am able to recover the partitions using TestDisk to the point that the BIOS can find the Windows Boot Manager, but can not get past the Boot Manager. Regardless, the root problem remains. I have duplicated this at least 10 times. The BIOS is updated to the latest firmware. There is nothing wrong with the SSD, I have run many tests on it and the exact same system setup works perfectly without this issue occurring when Windows 10 instead is installed on the SSD. So I don't see any factor remaining other than Hyper-V. Has anyone else seen a similar issue? Could this be a driver problem? Being that the MOBO is intended for workstations, obtaining and applying drivers is difficult. I just can't wrap my head around how Hyper-V could be corrupting the partition table simply from rebooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am out of any actionable ideas. Thanks.
    čtvrtek 12. července 2018 1:21

Všechny reakce

• I couldn't find it here.

https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/

I'd double check with the manufacturer but you may have to stick with Windows 10 without official  support.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

čtvrtek 12. července 2018 1:32
  • Right, none of the system's components that I have checked have been on the certified list. It wasn't originally built with Hyper-V in mind. The system passed the msinfo32 test so I though I would give it a try. In my experience the certified lists have always been more of a recommendation though. I have never encountered such a drastic incompatibility with a Microsoft OS.
    čtvrtek 12. července 2018 1:52
  • Just because hardware is not listed does not mean it will not work but it does mean the burden of vetting all the components is left to the end user to do.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Navržen jako odpověď Tim CerlingMVP čtvrtek 12. července 2018 11:51
    • Zrušeno navržení jako odpověď Livinggreen čtvrtek 12. července 2018 18:17
    čtvrtek 12. července 2018 1:56