none
release com ports

Dotaz

• On my Win 7 Netbook a USB to Serial adaptor Keep bumping up the numbers on my com ports past 10. In the Device Manager I thought I released them but I can no longer connect getting a code 10 for the device driver.  How di I really release them?

Thanks

Tim

20. března 2010 19:57

Odpovědi

• Hi Tim,

You can try the following steps to reset the in use COM Ports and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Please go to Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. In Device Manager, double click Ports (COM & LPT) to expand this section.

3. Right click Communications Port (COM1) and then click Properties.

4. Click Port Settings tab and then click Advanced… button.

5. Pull down COM Port Number list, choose one of the com port in use and then click OK.

6. When a warning message occurs, please ignore it and click Yes directly.

7. Click OK.

8. Please repeat step 3 to 7 to choose another com port in use.

9. Once the above steps are completed, please change the port back to original (COM1) setting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Označen jako odpověď Linda Yan 26. března 2010 8:52
    23. března 2010 2:24

Všechny reakce

• Linda,

Thanks for the reply but that is not it.

My USB to Serial adaptor worked in this netbook but I was having a software problem so each time I plugged it into a USB port the com number went up one number.

I tried going into the device manager and saw com 3 to 10 marked as " in use" in <port setting> <advanced setting> <com port number>  I pressed OK and it erased the in use note with a warning that the com port is being used by an other device and using it may make it inassesable.  This removed the (in use) note but did not really release it I think.

Please help me release the com ports.

tIM

22. března 2010 20:01
  • Tim does the USB device support windows 7, it sounds like it does not have support, anyway the place for you to go is the support for the product you are using.

22. března 2010 22:54
  • It does support Win 7

The USB to Serial converter did work on this computer

It is Win 7 bumping up the com port number and storing some where that these ports are in use.

I need to find where the "in use" flag is stored.

Tim

23. března 2010 1:12
  • Hi Tim,

You can try the following steps to reset the in use COM Ports and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Please go to Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. In Device Manager, double click Ports (COM & LPT) to expand this section.

3. Right click Communications Port (COM1) and then click Properties.

4. Click Port Settings tab and then click Advanced… button.

5. Pull down COM Port Number list, choose one of the com port in use and then click OK.

6. When a warning message occurs, please ignore it and click Yes directly.

7. Click OK.

8. Please repeat step 3 to 7 to choose another com port in use.

9. Once the above steps are completed, please change the port back to original (COM1) setting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Označen jako odpověď Linda Yan 26. března 2010 8:52
    23. března 2010 2:24
  • This is obviously too late of a reply, but for what it's worth to anyone else,  bypass any USB hub and plug it directly into the system. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can manually set the COM port for the USB to serial adapter within the device manager>port settings. You would need to set this manually every time it changes, but eventually this setting will be saved for every available USB port location within the registry and it will default to the defined setting.

I believe this is occurring because your system is reinstalling the device drivers for the usb to serial adapter every time it is restarted. This can cause random ports to be selected or bump up the port to make sure it is using an available port. The idea is that eventually, you will have manually configured this setting for EVERY port that is available so no matter which port it decides to switch to, it will match the COM port that you have defined.

12. července 2018 17:06