none
Error in Visual Studio 2017 Integration Services project: Unable to start debugging. The debugger is not properly installed.

Dotaz

• I just installed Visual Studio 2017 preview and then ran the brand new SSDT installer.  I'm able to create an Integration Services Project, but when I click the Start button, I get the following error.  I've tried everything I can find to do about this error but nothing is working.  I do have Windows Communications Foundation (I think it is) installed.  I've registered the msdbg2.dll file.  I don't know what else to do.  No one has addressed this issue with an Integration Project.   Any suggestions? 

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to start project

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to start debugging.
    The debugger is not properly installed.
    Run setup to install or repair the debugger. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

Unable to start program 'DTS'.

The debugger is not properly installed.  Cannot debug the requested type of code.  Run setup to install or repair the debugger. (Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger)

pondělí 11. prosince 2017 0:46

Odpovědi

Všechny reakce

• Hi Karen,

Do not use the Preview editions for serious work. Use Visual Studio Pro or better.

Ensure that SSIS as a component is installed if you want to deploy to it.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

pondělí 11. prosince 2017 14:22
    Moderátor
  • This isn't a production machine in that sense.  It's a development machine, and telling me NOT to use the Visual Studio 2017 preview doesn't solve the problem with the debugger.

I've googled this error, and lots of people have this issue in different versions.  None of the proposed solutions has worked.

I don't know what you mean by "Insure the SSIS component is installed."  It must be or I wouldn't be able to create an Integration Services project.  With great difficulty, many restarts, and about two days of work, I finally got the new version of SSDT installed and was able to begin working with Integration Services.  This error is the only hang up.  I can't debug.  I can run the project successfully.  I just can't debug it.

So, how do I fix the error I'm seeing with the debugger?

pondělí 11. prosince 2017 15:16
  • I would re-install all the related software but without installing anything "preview".

If that does not help, re-image the machine.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

pondělí 11. prosince 2017 15:29
    Moderátor
  • No thank you.  I want a real solution to this specific issue.  I refuse to reinstall Visual Studio for this or to use another version.

I've included the two steps I found that should have resolved the problem:

I do have Windows Communications Foundation installed. 

I've registered the msdbg2.dll file.

I have all of the .Net Framework installed properly.

The error message says to re-install the debugger.  I have no clue how to reinstall just the debugger. 

Do you have any other possible solutions?  I hope so.  Please help.

pondělí 11. prosince 2017 16:32
  • Hi Karen,

I install the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Preview(Version 15.6.0 ) and install SSDT for Visual Studio 2017. Everything works well when I create SSIS project and click Start button.

Have you tried to repair Visual Studio 2017 and SSDT?

Regards,
    Lydia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

úterý 12. prosince 2017 10:03
    Moderátor
  • Yes, I've actually done that several times.
    pátek 15. prosince 2017 18:46
  • Hi Karen,

Could you please check if you get same error when you install other versions of Visual Studio?

Regards,
    Lydia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

úterý 19. prosince 2017 10:34
    Moderátor
  • Starting Visual Studio as Admin seems to have helped. I'll check things further and stop back by.
    úterý 19. prosince 2017 20:46
  • Hi Karen,

Glad to hear this information. If you solved this issue, please mark your reply as answer, that way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.

Regards,
    Lydia

MSDN Community Support

středa 20. prosince 2017 1:34
    Moderátor
  • I have exactly the same issue and even starting VS as Admin does not solve the problem :(

I don't understand just one thing in what you've written. What do you mean by "I've registered the msdbg2.dll file"?

pondělí 5. února 2018 20:46
  • It also fails in Professional version 15.7.1.
    úterý 22. května 2018 13:05
  • Running in admin mode doesn't resolve the issue for me.
    úterý 22. května 2018 13:05
  • Version 15.7.1 has the same bug.
    úterý 22. května 2018 13:06
  • Same here. Using SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition, Data Tools 15.6.0 for VS 2017 and VS Community 2017 version 15.7.2 (all final version)
    Starting Visual Studio as Admin not worked. Repaired VS but no success :(

It really looks an issue.

For now, as a workaround, I've downloaded VS Community 2015 and Data Tools for VS 2015, opened my SSIS solution on VS 2015 and I was able to debug and run the Package.

čtvrtek 31. května 2018 6:03
  • Here are the steps I've taken, I have the same issue. Debugger will not work. I have SSDT version 15.7.3 installed, but do not have the complete Visual Studio, just SSDT:

Confirm msdbg2.dll is in the following folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\VS7Debug

Delete said folders.

Rerun the repair process to repopulate folders. 

Manually register the msdbg2.dll from both folders with regsvr32

Check regedit to confirm the dll's are registered and the paths are appropriate

Run SSDT as administrator

None of this works, the error continues.

----------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2017  (SSDT)
    Version 15.7.3
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.7.3+27703.2026
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01586

Installed Version: IDE Standard

C# Tools   2.8.3-beta6-62923-07. Commit Hash: 7aafab561e449da50712e16c9e81742b8e7a2969
    C# components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Common Azure Tools   1.10
    Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.

NuGet Package Manager   4.6.0
    NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.

Project   1.0
    Information about my package

ProjectServicesPackage Extension   1.0
    ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

ResourcePackage Extension   1.0
    ResourcePackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

SQL Server Analysis Services   14.0.1016.258
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Designer 
    Version 14.0.1016.258

SQL Server Data Tools   15.1.61804.210
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

SQL Server Integration Services   
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 14.0.3002.101

SQL Server Reporting Services   14.0.1016.246
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers 
    Version 14.0.1016.246

SsmsVsIntegration   1.0
    Information about my package

Visual Basic Tools   2.8.3-beta6-62923-07. Commit Hash: 7aafab561e449da50712e16c9e81742b8e7a2969
    Visual Basic components used in the IDE. Depending on your project type and settings, a different version of the compiler may be used.

Visual Studio Code Debug Adapter Host Package   1.0
    Interop layer for hosting Visual Studio Code debug adapters in Visual Studio

pátek 1. června 2018 16:23
  • Same here, none of the solutions above worked for me... Would be great to get some help on this one from Microsoft...

pondělí 4. června 2018 10:45
  • Same here in our company...

It started with the problem, that the online (live) setup did not work (Error blablabla). So we downloaded the complete package with "/layout" option. Afterwards we were able to install VS 2017 Shell an SSAS. SSIS and SSRS failed due to Error blablabla.

After research, we installed the VSIX-Packages for SSIS and SSRS manually. Wo, now we had the ability to create SSIS packages. Tried starting running a test package:

We want to migrate our complete environment from SQL-Server 2012 to 2017 in 3 weeks, and now we are unable to install the development environment... that is a shame!

By the way, running as admin did not work, even a test on a machine with VS 2017 professional after installing the SSIS VSIX did not succeed. We are frustrated now!!

===================================

Failed to start project (Microsoft Visual Studio)

Das Debuggen kann nicht gestartet werden.
    Der Debugger ist nicht ordnungsgemäß installiert.
    Führen Sie das Setup aus, um den Debugger zu installieren oder zu reparieren. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

Speicherort des Programms:

bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsPackageDebugger.LaunchVsDebugger(IVsDebugger iVsDebugger, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsPackageDebugger.ValidateAndRunDebugger(Int32 flags, IOutputWindow outputWindow, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchDtsPackage(Int32 launchOptions, ProjectItem startupProjItem, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchActivePackage(Int32 launchOptions)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchDtsPackage(Int32 launchOptions, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.Launch(Int32 launchOptions, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)

Das Programm "DTS" kann nicht gestartet werden.

Der Debugger ist nicht richtig installiert. Der angeforderte Codetyp kann nicht debuggt werden. Führen Sie Setup aus, um den Debugger zu installieren oder reparieren. (Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger)

Speicherort des Programms:

bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       bei Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsPackageDebugger.LaunchVsDebugger(IVsDebugger iVsDebugger, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)

========================================================

Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools für Visual Studio 2017  (SSDT)
    Version 15.7.3
    VisualStudio.15.Release/15.7.3+27703.2026
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.7.02046

Installierte Version: IDE-Standard

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2017   00371-40000-00001-AA196
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2017

Allgemeine Azure-Tools   1.10
    Bietet allgemeine Dienste für die Verwendung durch Azure Mobile Services und Microsoft Azure-Tools.

ApexSQL Complete   1.0
    ApexSQL Complete Visual Studio Addin Component

ApexSQL Stub   1.0

C#-Tools   2.8.3-beta6-62923-07. Commit Hash: 7aafab561e449da50712e16c9e81742b8e7a2969
    C#-Komponenten, die in der IDE verwendet werden. Je nach Projekttyp und Einstellungen kann eine andere Compilerversion verwendet werden.

NuGet-Paket-Manager   4.6.0
    NuGet-Paket-Manager in Visual Studio. Weitere Informationen zu NuGet finden Sie unter "http://docs.nuget.org/".

ProjectServicesPackage Extension   1.0
    ProjectServicesPackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

Projekt   1.0
    Informationen zu meinem Paket

ResourcePackage Extension   1.0
    ResourcePackage Visual Studio Extension Detailed Info

SQL Server Analysis Services   14.0.1016.258
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services-Designer, 
    Version 14.0.1016.258

SQL Server Data Tools   15.1.61804.210
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

SQL Server Integration Services   
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services-Designer
    Version 14.0.3002.101

SQL Server Reporting Services   14.0.1016.246
    Designer für Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services 
    Version 14.0.1016.246

SsmsVsIntegration   1.0
    Informationen zu meinem Paket

Visual Basic-Tools   2.8.3-beta6-62923-07. Commit Hash: 7aafab561e449da50712e16c9e81742b8e7a2969
    Visual Basic-Komponenten, die in der IDE verwendet werden. Je nach Projekttyp und Einstellungen kann eine andere Version des Compilers verwendet werden.

Visual Studio Code-Debugadapter-Hostpaket   1.0
    Interopebene zum Hosten der Visual Studio Code-Adapter in Visual Studio

• Upravený CrazyMC čtvrtek 7. června 2018 16:24
    čtvrtek 7. června 2018 16:20
  • Same problem here. 
    pátek 8. června 2018 17:07
  • and here..
    čtvrtek 14. června 2018 8:48
  • Starting Visual Studio as Admin seems to have helped. I'll check things further and stop back by.

I've got the same problem. Solved following these steps:

1. Uninstall the visual studio/SSDT, execute ccleaner (or similar software) and restart the computer;
    2. Access the msdn article (*) to download SSDT standalone installer. Execute as administrator - option modify - mark only SQL Server Analisys Services (SQL Server database was marked and disabled to modify. The instance has (SSDT) at end). At the end of installation restart the computer;
    3. Repeat the step 2 to install integration services. Repeat again to install reporting.

Trying to install these 3 services in one installation results on the related bug. I hope it can help.

(*) Search by the title: "Download and install SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) for Visual Studio" and then got to the session: "Install Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services tools"

• Upravený gwarah pondělí 18. června 2018 21:32 correction of (*) tip
    pondělí 18. června 2018 17:46