none
How to have MS Project leave Duration intact and only change Actual Duration?

Frage

• Hi Guys,

I have this goal: I want to enter estimated durations upon project planning for tasks. I'd like MS Project to only change the Actual duration when entering Actual Start and Actual Finish dates manually for the (automatically scheduled) tasks, so that I can easily see the difference between our estimations and actual durations.

I know I could use baselines to save a snapshot of Durations before beginning the project, and they would remain kind of planned durations with which I could compare durations, however many tasks are created on-the-fly, and even if I estimate their duration, once they change, Duration will be recalculated.

This makes me quite impossible to analyze the difference between actual and planned durations, as well as to use the project as a template (since Duration values will be changed from initial values).

Kind regards

eM

em

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 08:14

Antworten

• Hi e-Musty,

The way you have described the duration changing to reflect the actual duration is how MS Project is designed to work, and are the baselines.  If you want to do something different, then I suggest the following, but note, you will have to enter the duration twice.

1.  Add in the custom column Duration 1 and rename it to "planned duration"

2.  When you enter the task, enter your planned duration into both the duration and planned duration columns.

3. Now when you update the actual values, the duration will change, but the planned duration will stay the same.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Als Antwort markiert e-Musty Montag, 4. Juni 2018 10:31
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 09:53

Alle Antworten

• Hi e-Musty,

The way you have described the duration changing to reflect the actual duration is how MS Project is designed to work, and are the baselines.  If you want to do something different, then I suggest the following, but note, you will have to enter the duration twice.

1.  Add in the custom column Duration 1 and rename it to "planned duration"

2.  When you enter the task, enter your planned duration into both the duration and planned duration columns.

3. Now when you update the actual values, the duration will change, but the planned duration will stay the same.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Als Antwort markiert e-Musty Montag, 4. Juni 2018 10:31
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 09:53
  • Thanks a lot, Ben! At least I can be proud of myself for that I found the same solution, however I thought it's just a workaround. :)

em

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 10:32