none
Actual Finish/Start do not update when 100% complete for "Schedule from Project Finish Date" Project

Frage

• Hi all,

I have created a schedule that is using "Schedule from Project Finish Date" but when I 100% a <g class="gr_ gr_135 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar" data-gr-id="135" id="135">task</g> the actual finish date changes to the project finish date.  This is not the behaviour I expected (though I have never done a schedule this way before so maybe missing something). 

For example, the project finish date is the 13th of October 2018.  I just 100% task 14 today the 28th of June but the start and finish didn't change and the actual finish defaulted to 13/10 (Before/After):

Before: 

After:

Thanks in advance.

Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2018 20:48

Antworten

• solomani,

I don't see how it's any better to re-configure a plan for reuse simply by using the schedule from finish option but if that works better for you then go for it.

If the task finishes before the scheduled finish date, then you need to enter the actual finish date. When a task is marked as 100% complete, Project has now way of "knowing" when the task actually finished so for lack of better information Project will always assume the task finished on schedule, even if the scheduled finish date is in the future.

That's why it is better to enter an actual finish date, if different from the scheduled finish date. When you do that Project will automatically mark the task as 100% complete. With an actual finish date there is no ambiguity about when the task finished and by definition, a finished task is 100% complete.

Hope this helps.

John

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 02:28
  • solomani,

I thought I explained all this before. If you enter 100% into the % Complete field, Project will automatically enter the scheduled finish date into the Actual Finish field. That's how it works, that's how it's always worked.

John

• Als Antwort markiert solomani Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2018 04:05
    Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2018 23:41

Alle Antworten

• solomani,

First of all why are you scheduling from the Project finish date? Using that scheduling option creates more issues and frustration than normal scheduling from the Project start date.

Regardless, if you schedule from the Project Start Date or from the Project Finish Date, if you declare a task is 100% complete with no other information. Project will automatically assume the task started as planned and finished as planned so the Actual Start Date will be the Schedule Start Date and the Actual Finish date will be the Scheduled Finish Date.

What were you expecting to happen?
    John

Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2018 21:23
  • Hi John,

Using a finish date since this is a Disaster Recovery exercise and I want it to be reused year-after-year.  This way you can just change the DR date year-to-year and everything else will fall into place.  DR scheduling always works backwards.

I was expecting Actual Finish to be the date the task was completed.  Instead, it shows the project end date.  I thought this was due to "project finish date" but now I check one of my other MPPs it does the same thing - puts the task end date in.  Its been a while but I felt sure "actual finish" would show the date the task was finished?

Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2018 22:36
  • solomani,

I don't see how it's any better to re-configure a plan for reuse simply by using the schedule from finish option but if that works better for you then go for it.

If the task finishes before the scheduled finish date, then you need to enter the actual finish date. When a task is marked as 100% complete, Project has now way of "knowing" when the task actually finished so for lack of better information Project will always assume the task finished on schedule, even if the scheduled finish date is in the future.

That's why it is better to enter an actual finish date, if different from the scheduled finish date. When you do that Project will automatically mark the task as 100% complete. With an actual finish date there is no ambiguity about when the task finished and by definition, a finished task is 100% complete.

Hope this helps.

John

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 02:28
  • That makes sense, will do that.  Thanks for the tip.
    Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 03:50
  • solomani,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 13:09
  • Not behaviour I've seen before. Maybe the task's successor has been marked as 100% complete meaning that this task moves to the project finish date as it no longer has a successor that is calculable?

Freitag, 29. Juni 2018 13:02
  • hmm not sure, I didn't do anything fancy.  Happy to share the MPP, nothing secretive about whats in it.
    Samstag, 30. Juni 2018 00:47
  • You wouldn't need to do anything fancy. Say you have milestones at the top and you go top down making everything 100% complete, if the milestone's predecessor is further down it will move to the project finish date, when it's successor is 100%, before you get to it to make it 100%.

If that's the case the easiest way to do what you want would be to turn off the calculations, then 100% everything. When calculations are back on actual dates will hold.

Montag, 2. Juli 2018 09:05
  • That didn't work (or I am doing it wrong).  When I 100% a task it shows the tasks end date in the actual finish field still.  Here is the file for reference.
    Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2018 23:19
  • solomani,

I thought I explained all this before. If you enter 100% into the % Complete field, Project will automatically enter the scheduled finish date into the Actual Finish field. That's how it works, that's how it's always worked.

John

• Als Antwort markiert solomani Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2018 04:05
    Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2018 23:41