none
Baseline Start/ Finish - Dates can be modified?

Frage

• Hi, 

Did baseline a plan in Project Pro 2016. Can see the baseline in Set Baseline Menu. Am unable to comprehend that dates in Baseline start/ Finish are editable?

Can anyone please explain? 

TIA

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 14:36

Alle Antworten

• Makarands --

I do not work for Microsoft, so I cannot fully explain why a user is allowed to manually edit the Baseline Start and Baseline Finish dates.  I suspect that the fields need to be editable so that the software can actually capture the current Start and Finish dates and copy them into the Baseline Start and Baseline Finish dates, but I could be wrong about that.  Regardless, it is a very BAD practice for anyone to edit dates in the Baseline Start and Baseline Finish fields.  Just because the software allows something does not mean it is a good idea to do it.  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 16:43
  • Dale, 

Freezing/ Locking Baseline Start/ Finish will force best practice and is the objective. 

IMO Baseline data is point in time snapshot and is static. Software would use Start/ Finish along with Actual Start/ \finish for calculations. 

Software permits capturing multiple Baselines which should address need to edit the Baseline fields. 

Just my PoV. 

Thank you. 

-M

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 17:24
  • Makarands --

No argument with you, my friend.  If people manually edit the dates in the Baseline Start or Baseline Finish fields, in my opinion, this amounts to tampering with the data and could be grounds for firing the offending PM.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 17:31