none
Direct Access Server issue RRS feed

• Frage

• Hello,

I have an Direct Access Server running on Windows Server 2012 R2. It's configured as edge topology with 2 Network Interfaces.

DA running well, but 3-4 times a week some Windows Services are crashing. After that nobody can connect Direct Access until I reboot the Direct Access Server manually.

The Following Services are crashing with eventid 7031 source "Service Control Manager"

- Base Filtering Engine Service

-Diagnostic Policy Service

-Windows Firewall Service

-Performance Logs & Alerts Service

The Windows Firewall service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the Service.

The Server is up to date, all Windows updates are installed, no 3rd Party Software or other Windows roles are installed.

Does anybody have an idea?

Best regards

Lothar

Montag, 11. April 2016 10:20

Antworten

• Hi,

We're also running DirectAccess on a 2012 R2 server in a similar configuration and we also have the same issue (The services terminating unexpectedly) and having to restart the whole server to restore connectivity, I've found however those services run together in a shared Svchost process and by modifying the config of those services to run in their own Svchost process (By running "SC Config <ServiceName> type= own" in a Admin Command Prompt) and I can see it is the Windows Firewall Service crashing with the exception code "access violation 0xc0000005", but it restarts on its own and DirectAccess still works fine! 

Our setup has been working fine with Server 2012 R2 (Server has been upgraded from older OS's however) for about a year now, so possibly a dodgy Windows Update???

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Luke

• Als Antwort markiert schocker66 Montag, 9. Mai 2016 15:32
    Mittwoch, 20. April 2016 22:15

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

ausser dem normalen Windows Troubleshooting (GPO, Logs, zeitliche Ablaeufe, Windows Updates) faellt mir wenig dazu ein.

Die Windows Firewall wird nicht durch eine andere GPO verwaltet? DA erstellt ja seine eigenen Firewallsettings per GPO.

best regards Marc Grote - www.it-training-grote.de

Montag, 18. April 2016 06:35
  • Hi,

We're also running DirectAccess on a 2012 R2 server in a similar configuration and we also have the same issue (The services terminating unexpectedly) and having to restart the whole server to restore connectivity, I've found however those services run together in a shared Svchost process and by modifying the config of those services to run in their own Svchost process (By running "SC Config <ServiceName> type= own" in a Admin Command Prompt) and I can see it is the Windows Firewall Service crashing with the exception code "access violation 0xc0000005", but it restarts on its own and DirectAccess still works fine! 

Our setup has been working fine with Server 2012 R2 (Server has been upgraded from older OS's however) for about a year now, so possibly a dodgy Windows Update???

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Luke

• Als Antwort markiert schocker66 Montag, 9. Mai 2016 15:32
    Mittwoch, 20. April 2016 22:15
  • Hi,

thanks for your answers!

My DA Server is located in a seperate OU with deactivated inheritance. So no other GPO is assigned to the Server. I've already unistalled several Windows updates without success.

I'll give a try to Luke's SC Config command and come back to you asap.

Thank you an best regards

Lothar

Freitag, 22. April 2016 08:05
  • Hi Luke,

My Direct Access Servers are working fine, since I've changed the config of the Services.

Thank You

Best regards

Lothar

Montag, 9. Mai 2016 15:32
  • Hello All,

I had this exact issue. I talked my not for profit organisation into paying the fee for MS pro support.

After 4 days of troubleshooting they checked the internal KB for this issue. There have been a few reports of this issue and MS believe it relates to the security update KB3126593. We have uninstalled this update and are testing.

I will let you know how we go.

Kind Regards,

Curtley

UPDATE: Uninstalling the above update worked, however, I also found KB3155768 which addresses the firewall service crashing because of logging. I have disabled firewall logging on my other DA server and this has solved the problem as well.
    • Bearbeitet whiplabs Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2016 11:28 Update
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen whiplabs Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2016 11:29
    Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2016 08:09
  • Hi,

even if this thread is quite old - can you name the services you changed to using there own process ?

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2019 08:38