none
Strange error...

Frage

• Hi!

I've just run into an error that really confuses me. Hopefully someone here has an idea what the source of the problem might be.

I created a new distribution group named QA-Mobile. When I try to send mails to the DG from Outlook (2016) I receive '550 5.1.11 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; Recipient not found by Exchange Legacy encapsulated email address lookup' even though the recipient is there and the smtp-address is correct.  When I try sending the same mail via OWA it works fine. (?)

I've also added a second smtp-address QAMobile and that works fine with Outlook.

Anybody got an idea how I can fix this? In over twenty years of being a MCT and Consultant for Exchange I've never run into this kind of problem...

Regards,

Gerrit

If you think your to small to make a differnce, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room...

Freitag, 6. Juli 2018 10:43

Antworten

• Hi Manu,

here are the attributes:

AddressListMembership         : {\All Distribution Lists, \Groups(VLV), \All Groups(VLV), \All Recipients(VLV),
                                    \Default Global Address List}
    EmailAddresses                : {smtp:QA-Mobile@<domain2>, SMTP:QA-Mobile@<domain1>, smtp:qamobile@<domain1>, smtp:qamobile@<domain2>}
    HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled : False
    EmailAddressPolicyEnabled     : True
    PrimarySmtpAddress             : QA-Mobile@<domain1>
    WindowsEmailAddress           : QA-Mobile@<domain1>

On a side note: It's now working. I don't know why and I'm not aware of any changes made to the system, but when I tested it today I didn't receive a NDR. So I guess the problem is fixed (somehow...).

Thanks for your help anyway! 

Cheers,

Gerrit

If you think your to small to make a differnce, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room...

• Als Antwort markiert Gerrit Deike Montag, 16. Juli 2018 07:01
    Montag, 16. Juli 2018 07:01

Alle Antworten

• Are you in cached mode?  Is the recipient in your downloaded offline address book?

Does this help?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook/ndr-550-5111-when-sending-and-receiving-email-yet/8e2fc361-9424-46b9-9c47-eb78dbccb645

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Freitag, 6. Juli 2018 23:45
  • Hi Gerrit,

Please check if the above link helps.

To confirm the if it is OAB issue, we could force the OAB generation from the server side, then download the address book in Outlook.

Get-OfflineAddressBook | Update-OfflineAddressBook

If issue persists, I suppose issue should be caused by a changed LegacyExchangeDN, and the solution is to add a X500 address for the old LegacyExchangeDN. 

how to add X500 addresses
    IMCEAEX non-delivery report when you send email messages to an internal user in Office 365 dedicated 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Montag, 9. Juli 2018 06:57
  • Hello Manu,

sorry for not getting back soon, been pretty busy around here.

As I mentioned the account was newly created, so it couldn't have been in the offline address book. Secondly, I don't use the OAB, so updating it would have no effect on my Outlook. Thirdly, I've added a second SMTP-address without the dash "-" and that address works fine.

Just to make sure, I did use your cmdlt, but with no effect, as I had expected. I also tried sending the mail from OWA and had the same effect...

As far as the X500 address goes. None of our recipients have one. We don't have a hybrid installation. It's a pure on-site installation with a new account. Oh, and the account is a distribution group not a mailbox.

Regards,

Gerrit

Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 07:18
  • Hi,

Just test in my lab with a group name DG-A, which including a dash "-" in its smtp address, it will receive the message from other users without errors. I also found an article saying that Unsupported characters for Exchange 2013 object names, but "-" isn't listed in the chart.

For further troubleshooting, please run the following command to check all address-related properties of the group.

Get-DistributionGroup QA-Mobile | fl *addr*

Besides, if you don't mind, post the entire NDR message here without the sensitive information.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 02:28
  • Hi Manu,

here are the attributes:

AddressListMembership         : {\All Distribution Lists, \Groups(VLV), \All Groups(VLV), \All Recipients(VLV),
                                    \Default Global Address List}
    EmailAddresses                : {smtp:QA-Mobile@<domain2>, SMTP:QA-Mobile@<domain1>, smtp:qamobile@<domain1>, smtp:qamobile@<domain2>}
    HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled : False
    EmailAddressPolicyEnabled     : True
    PrimarySmtpAddress             : QA-Mobile@<domain1>
    WindowsEmailAddress           : QA-Mobile@<domain1>

On a side note: It's now working. I don't know why and I'm not aware of any changes made to the system, but when I tested it today I didn't receive a NDR. So I guess the problem is fixed (somehow...).

Thanks for your help anyway! 

Cheers,

Gerrit

• Als Antwort markiert Gerrit Deike Montag, 16. Juli 2018 07:01
    Montag, 16. Juli 2018 07:01
  • FYI, all recipients have an X.500 address.  It's the LegacyExchangeDN property.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2018 23:29