none
Import SQL Databases by using Powershell?? RRS feed

• Frage

• Hello,
    i have a problem. i got plenty of databases in my sql server 2008 which are sorted by dimension and fact tables. is there any way to import them into the analysis server by using powershell and automatically generate a cube with them??
    Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 09:02

Antworten

• Hello suedman,

Do you mean to process all existing cubes by using PowerShell? Yes, that is possible and you will find several examples for it.

Do you mean to generate & deploy the cube definition automised just by the datawarehouse database design?
    No, not really. How to guess what is a measure, what a dimension and its hierachies etc. and the relations between each other?

There is ADMOClient in .NET you can use to create a cube by script/application, but completly automised?
    You would have to spend much more time in developing such an application then in the cube design and I am sure, manually build cubes by a good architect have a much higher quality then by a rule-based application.
    Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Als Antwort markiert suedman Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2009 11:12
    Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 15:26

Alle Antworten

• Hello suedman,

Do you mean to process all existing cubes by using PowerShell? Yes, that is possible and you will find several examples for it.

Do you mean to generate & deploy the cube definition automised just by the datawarehouse database design?
    No, not really. How to guess what is a measure, what a dimension and its hierachies etc. and the relations between each other?

There is ADMOClient in .NET you can use to create a cube by script/application, but completly automised?
    You would have to spend much more time in developing such an application then in the cube design and I am sure, manually build cubes by a good architect have a much higher quality then by a rule-based application.
    Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    • Als Antwort markiert suedman Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2009 11:12
    Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2009 15:26
  • Thank you. In my other post i got the answer.
    Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2009 11:12