none
Migrate 2008r2 file server to 2012r2

Frage

• Hello All!

What is the best way to migrate all files and shares from a 2008r2 server to a 2012r2 server?  I did a test run with DFSR but when i try to browse the directories they're blank however when i check the size I can tell there are files in the directories by the size, i believe it's probably a permission issue. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 00:16

Alle Antworten

• Hi Eddiesa,

Please follow the guide to before you start migrate the file to server 2012R2.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn479292(v=ws.11)

And you can move all folders and files by using FSMT or Robocopy  with NTFS permissions to the other server.

Also please noticed that Share permission will not be copied so you need to re-share all folders.

In your current scenario, you establish the dfs replication, may I ask does the replication finish successfully?

Even the data has been replicated to the server 2012R2, if you need to access the data on server 2012r2, you still need to be assigned the related share permission for this share on share 2012R2. Since share permission couldn't be replicated.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 06:55
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Dienstag, 15. Mai 2018 08:13
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen CRMNoon Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 11:37
    Mittwoch, 16. Mai 2018 07:29
  • Great thank you!
    Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 11:36