Problem with File Migration Toolkit RRS feed

  • Frage

  • According to the Whitepaper on this site:  I can migrate my Fileservers with minimum Downtime and minimum stress on my Users and myself.

    The steps are as follows:

    - Rename the Fileserver

    - Start the DFS Consolidation Root Wizard and input the renamed Fileserver name and the old fileserver name (the Wizard does the rest)

    - Start the File Server Migration Wizard to migrate my files from my old file Server to a new one. (I can start/stop this process and it will pickup where it left off)

    The benefit is you have one short downtime when you rename your server and reboot it and then run the DFS Wizard (maybe 15 mins.) Afterwards, your Users still have access to the old Server Shares using the DFS Namespace without you having to edit any Loginscripts. Then you can migrate the Shares one at a time if you like and edit each Share in DFS pointing to the new Fileserver after each one is finished migrating. Sounds good right? I thought so as well.

    The problem I am having and need help with is the DFS Wizard is taking my Shares and putting them in a namespace, lets call it "Server1" and adding a new Share name "#Server1" under it. So when I try to access the UNC path \\server1 the only share I see is #Server1. My original shares are placed under this new share as links. Which means I have a new path per example to my User Home Drives  \\server1\#server1\home   Naturally, this means that all my LoginScripts will not work because they map to \\server1\Home  I chose this method because I didnt want to have to edit all my Scripts.

    Has anyone encountered this problem? Has anyone succesfully used this method?

    I have a Windows 2008 R2 Cluster running File Services and DFS. The Toolkit is the 64Bit version. I was seeing a WMI Authentication error in my Logs: ID 5605, so I installed the Toolkit directly on my DFS/Fileserver and the error went away but my Shares are still not being "presented" correctly.

    Can anyone help me out?




    Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2011 17:14


Alle Antworten

  • Hello Paolo

    I used the FSMT some times but I never runned in the problems as you described. Further questions asked not in German should be targeted to another forum like:

    High Availability (Clustering) - English:

    File Serivces and Storage - English:


    Viele Grüße, Bernd Pfann [Microsoft] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011 08:53
  • Wir haben das selbe Problem und keine Lösung. Wir versuchen, die DFS-Strukturen für Fileserver-Konsolidierungen mittels Wizzard für DFSConsolidate aus dem FSMT 1.2 zu erstellen. Der DFS-Stammserver läuft auf einem Cluster unter Windows Server 2008 R2. DFSConsolidate erstellt den Stammserver, den Namespace, die Ordner, alles soweit ok, es entsteht folgende Struktur:


    Der Zugriff darauf ist nicht über \\serveralt\ordner möglich, wie im Whitepaper beschrieben. Aber genau dies ist ja der Sinn dieses Verfahrens, um die UNC-Pfade für die Benutzer nicht ändern zu müssen.

    Der Check mittels dfsconsolidate auf Kommandozeile findet keine Probleme.

    Viele grüße


    Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011 15:58
  • Nach einem Reboot der Clusterknoten hat alles wie erwartet funktioniert.

    Ein Restart der DFS-Services war nicht ausreichen.


    Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011 11:47