none
Text Columns in Resource Usage view

Frage

• I have a added a number of text columns in the Gantt view and given them custom names. When working in the Task usage view I can use the same columns to sort and filter, but when I try to use the same columns in the Resource usage view it does not work. If I add the e.g. Text 5, the custom name does not show and neither the values. Anyone that can help me out or explain why it does not work? Many Thanks

//Erik 

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 09:17

Alle Antworten

• Erik,

[Also follow the URL linked by John below.]

Project has two distinct sets of custom text fields: those attached to tasks, and those attached to resources.  Thus, Tasks.Text5 and Resources.Text5 are two different fields.  Those you have modified in the Gantt view are attached to tasks, and these are available to "roll-down" (or be manually entered) in the assignments shown in Task Usage.  The Resource Usage table only displays resource fields, which appear to be empty as you have seen.

You can use vba to copy the task field values to the resource field values.  I think I posted some code to do that (here or on the answers forum) a year or two ago. 

Good luck, tom

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 12:43
  • Tom,

For reference there are actually three sets of text fields (not counting the assorted ways text is stored in the Notes field depending on how it's accessed). You might want to take a look at this Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31991.ms-project-data-types-task-resource-assignment.aspx

John

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 14:23
  • John, thanks for the correction.  Though I don't see anything explicitly wrong in my response, your wiki is much more comprehensive and should have been referenced.
    Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 15:36
  • Tom,

No problem, I just noticed your statement about "two" distinct text fields and wanted to clarify.

For reference, former Project MVP Jan De Messmaeker wrote a translation macro when it was first discovered that there are in fact two separate sets of assignment custom fields, task assignment and resource assignment, introduced when Project 2010 was developed. Both his macro and my data types treatise were first published as Project MVP FAQs. Those two FAQs and several others were translated to Wiki articles by Julie Sheets and myself.

John

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 16:46