none
disable Windows F1 hotkey RRS feed

• Frage

• I need to disable the F1 windows help hotkey or to just simply disable the Windows Help function in Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks,
    Freitag, 8. Januar 2010 19:04

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• You should be able to disable the help stuff by disabling the Help and Support service. (start->type services.msc->press enter)

At least that is how it works in XP... haven't tried it in win7 yet.

- JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Contact me | 'Gadget' programs                (Join my Folding@home team! )
    • Als Antwort markiert Arthur XieModerator Montag, 11. Januar 2010 08:09
    • Bearbeitet JoelbX Freitag, 22. Januar 2010 16:52 edit signature :)
    Freitag, 8. Januar 2010 20:10
  • I think JoelbX is right.  Just out of curiousity, could I ask why you want to disable it?

Samstag, 9. Januar 2010 04:34
  • WINDOWS 7:
    Rename HelpPane (C:\Windows\HelpPane.exe) to something else. Done.
    Samstag, 20. November 2010 18:15
  • user de GP

user configuration\ administrative tools\system\don't run specified windows applications

add the executable you want to block.

Freitag, 5. Oktober 2012 01:18
  • Sergio,

I have blocked both the "HelpPane.exe" and "winhlp32.exe" applications in the GP but I can still open Help using the "F1" key. Do you have any other suggestions?

Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013 12:59
  • Run regedit and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE.

Double-click on the word "(Default)."

Modify the value so that it reads "C:\Windows\svchost.exe" (without the quotation marks).

Click "OK" and exit the registry editor. Restart the system.

NOTE: You probably want to save the original value in a new text file in case you want to reenable it later on.  Save it in a utility location on your computer.

Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013 15:29
  • Because this F1 function is a huge pain in the ___. Have a nice work flow going on in Excel 2010, a mis-key that jacks up the flow, waiting for the undesired window to finally pop up. Finally I can close & get back to my life. One coworker even REMOVED the F1 key from the keyboard. It's that big of a pain. Have a section in the ribbon to accommodate for the F1 help function. No one I work with uses this function & are annoyed every single time that key is accidentally pressed.

Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2014 18:10
  • Amen to that!  I abhor the F1 key, never use it, but I use F2 as my jumpcode key in all my macros... and it never fails that I accidentally hit F1 instead.  
    Samstag, 20. Dezember 2014 15:12
  • I just removed the damn key from the keyboard, since even after I disable the service, other programs (like CorelDRAW) still have THEIR help ON! Should be nice being able to disable the key by software, not trashing my keyboard!
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen immanuel_aj Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016 23:02
    • Nicht als Antwort vorgeschlagen immanuel_aj Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016 23:02
    Donnerstag, 29. Oktober 2015 09:35
  • This thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd contribute anyway since people still find it through google searches.

I got this program called AutoHotkey, what it does is it lets you write scripts that launch whenever a certain key or key combination is pressed. So for instance, you can make Ctrl+S launch your music player, and this will overwrite the default keypress, so Ctrl+S will no longer work as QuickSave.

So I just made it do nothing when F1 is pressed. Works perfectly. Once you get the program just google for "AutoHotkey disable keys".

Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016 23:06
  • Tried it, doesn't work!
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Windows Ninja Samstag, 9. Juli 2016 18:28
    Samstag, 9. Juli 2016 18:27
  • Aint no wurkin
    Samstag, 9. Juli 2016 18:28