we updates our DPM2010 to DPM2012 with no Problems.
Nearly no Problems. One Agent isn`t able to update his DPM Agent. Error Message is something like this (Its in German):
"Der DPM-Agent-Koordinator-Dienst konnte nicht von servername.domain.local gelöscht werden."
Translated: The DPM Agent Coordination Service could not be deleted on this Maschine. Try to deinstall it manually via Software Add/Remove.
So ok i tried, but no chance to deinstall the DPM2010 Agent. And an instalation of the DPM2012 Agent fails until the old Agend is deinstalled.
Connection to the Maschine had no Problems in DPM2010, all needed Ports are open, DCOM Access OK...
So i need a way to manually remove the dpm2010 Client from this Maschine. Didn`t find anything related to this specific Problem...
Cleaned the Registry, deleated the old Folders, but not a chance to install the new 2012 Client..... please can anyone help?
I had the same problem trying to upgrade the agents on all of my protected computers after upgrading to DPM 2012 R2, and here's how I fixed it:
- On the protected computer I uninstalled the DPM agent (it was listed as Microsoft System Center 2010 DPM Protection Agent, or something like that)
- Manually installed .NET Framework 4.0, and Microsoft Visual 2010 C++ was already installed (they are both required)
- Installed Windows Updates (lots for .NET framework!)
- Manually installed the DPM 2012 R2 agent from the DVD under the SCDPM\Agents folder
- Ran the following at the command line from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin" on the protect computer: SetDpmServer -dpmServerName MYDPMSERVERNAME.domain.com
Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a way to fix this from the DPM admin console. I'm sure some or all of this could be scripted with relative ease if you have a large amount of protected computers.
- Als Antwort vorgeschlagen EugeneLeitanMVP, Moderator Montag, 24. Februar 2014 06:04
The proposed answer worked for me on a single problem server. I only had to complete steps 4 and 5, and then between trying to resolve the issue myself, I had upgraded to CU1. So from the console I was able to successfully run the update agent from the Management section to push the CU1 agent.