none
DPM 2016 Move Protection Groups / Datasources

Frage

• I can't figure out how to move protection groups / data sources to a different disk in DPM 2016. The MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 script is still present in the DPM/Bin folder but it doesn't like parameters (for the destination disk) that work fine on DPM 2012.

Anyone know how to get this to work?

Montag, 30. Januar 2017 15:02

Antworten

• Hi

DPM 2016 Update-Rollup 4 that contain the feature to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes should be released any day now. 

UPDATE
    =====

After installing UR4 - details on migrating are in the below blog.

SC 2016 DPM UR4: Migrate Backup Storage in 3 simple steps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Montag, 23. Oktober 2017 16:02

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

If you are using DPM 2016 modern backup storage (MBS) then we don't currently have a way to migrate data sources to new storage without stopping protection and deleting the replica (ouch, I know).  The MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 script should work for legacy LDM based storage pool. 

If you are using MBS can you tell me the business need for moving to alternate storage ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Montag, 30. Januar 2017 17:39
  • We're using MBS and the two drives currently on the DPM server are about to fill up, so I wanted to move some of the backups to another drive. 
    Montag, 30. Januar 2017 17:43
  • I'd wait until UR2 before using MBS.  We're having nothing but trouble with MBS in UR1.

Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2017 21:34
  • MBS has been working ok for us other than this issue.

Not sure why it's an issue, doesn't MBS use vhdx files? Why is it so difficult moving them?

Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 11:52
  • Just to clarify, our MBS issues in UR1 have been confirmed by Microsoft as problems on at least 3 separate support cases.
    Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 14:15
  • Hi,

DPM 2016 UR2 was released today and is available on the download center.

KBID 3209593 Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager

Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 21:11
  • The ability to move data to another volume is badly needed.  Any updates on a resolution?  (I don't see this referenced in UR2 notes)
    Montag, 20. Februar 2017 23:46
  • We need it too !

I created a suggestion here, go vote for it ;-)

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/258995-azure-backup-and-scdpm/suggestions/17983720-script-to-migrate-volumes-of-modern-backup-storage

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2017 09:16
  • Hi,

for us it is a must to migrate DPM Storage to different Storage System.

We have quite a big environment and it happens from time to time that a Storage System runs out of maintenance and so we have to migrate the data to a new storage.

We were hoping that this feature would improve in DPM 2016 and it would get easier and more reliable and not the opposite.

Other solutions are way more flexible regarding this.

regards
    /bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2017 09:30
  • It's crazy that if you are running a single DPM server and you run out of disk space on one of the volumes, you have to delete all copies of a backup to move it to another disk. Even crazier as a backup can no longer expand on to another volume.

I'd say this is a critical issue and DPM 2016 shouldn't have been released before it was resolved.

Concerning that a fix doesn't even seem to be a priority - DPM is bordering on unusable at the moment. Our annual licensing is about to come up for renewal and it's a big enough issue to make me start looking at alternate solutions to System Center.

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2017 10:28
  • Hi Mike,

Is there any update on support for this? 

Dienstag, 27. Juni 2017 09:40
  • Hello,

are there any news on this matter?

regards

DS

Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 08:04
  • Hi,

Yes, we are in final stages of testing new code to allow you to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes.

Freitag, 15. September 2017 14:23
  • Hi Mike,

When we can expect ability of migrating data sources between volumes?This is very important in our environment.

Sonntag, 1. Oktober 2017 13:59
  • Any news on this testing and release date? 

I was not aware of this issue with MBS. I now have a cluster with 120-150 protected machines running out of disk space (well some backup disks already has and doing wipe of important recovery points just feel like a really bad thing). 

Freitag, 20. Oktober 2017 06:37
  • Hi

DPM 2016 Update-Rollup 4 that contain the feature to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes should be released any day now. 

UPDATE
    =====

After installing UR4 - details on migrating are in the below blog.

SC 2016 DPM UR4: Migrate Backup Storage in 3 simple steps

Montag, 23. Oktober 2017 16:02
  • UR4 was released

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017 12:12
  • And for those waiting for this feature, I can tell you it does work. Thanks for finally getting this to DPM users. 
    Freitag, 27. Oktober 2017 21:32
  • A progress indicator would be nice... I started a migration several days ago and I have no clue when it will finish.
    Freitag, 3. November 2017 12:35
  • I'd like to second Christoph von Wittichabout's request for a progress bar. Migration is a welcome and essential feature, but I've had a move running for over 24hrs now with no idea when it will finish. There is disk activity occurring so I'm pretty sure it hasn't stopped. There was 6TB of data, but I still would have expected it to take less time than that it has so far, considering we're talking a move between two sets of local storage. I'm also unsure of what would happen if the server was rebooted or crashed during the move? I'm assuming it would either abort the copy and revert to the original or restart the copy again where it left off? 

I've also tried to do a separate restore job while the move is still running and it appears to be in a waiting state. However backups are running normally, if a bit slower (thank goodness). Anyone else having issues with this feature?

Dienstag, 14. November 2017 09:40
  • After two days of moving data DPM crashed... And now it crashes multiple times every day. UR4 is a mess.
    Dienstag, 14. November 2017 09:47
  • Oh dear, that's really not what I want to hear. I must say my experience with UR4 has not been great so far. It messed up most of my bare metals initially which I have since fixed. Both my production backup servers have been behaving badly since it was installed. Both have had reboots (post full installation and reboot) which inexplicably took a very long time but booted eventually. I had installed it earlier than normal due to the migration feature as we were getting tight on space on one of my drives and wanted to reshuffle some storage around. Starting to regret that decision now sadly 
    Dienstag, 14. November 2017 11:16
  • I had the same problem. DPM2016 UR4. DPM crashed in the middle of migration.

If you delete the backup you were migrating and re-create it you will maybe have same luck as me that DPM works again without crashing.

Actually you can find traces in the DPM *.crashlog which backup is causing the crash and you then need to delete.

Mittwoch, 15. November 2017 15:41
  • Thanks for the heads up. Its reassuring you got yours going again. As long as you didn't have to delete the existing data. 

My move is still running. I started it on Monday and its still running today (Thursday!), with no sign of when it will be done. There is still disk activity and no crash logs, so I have to assume it is still ongoing. I'm having similar issues to others while this is happening though:-

I still have the original console open which is locked to 'Moving disk backup storage of datasource "RCT\XXXXX" from H:\ to J:\       In Progress....'

When I open another console window (as suggested in docs) I can see 3 jobs which have been failing since this kicked off on Monday. Obviously the backup for the moving volume is also not performing its nightly backups (a problem in itself). If I try to start a consistency check on any of the failed jobs they freeze the console and don't start. If I do a restore of other data, I can go through the process but once kicked off the job just sits there waiting and does not do the restore. I'm assuming it is waiting for the move to finish first.

I'm going to log a call with MS, as this is clearly some sort of bug, since others are suffering the same issues. This length of time for data to move from one volume to another is not right. Surely an estimated time at the start or at least  a progress bar would help.

Donnerstag, 16. November 2017 09:29
  • Good luck with that :)

As I saw others had same issue as me I posted how to find the backup that makes your server crash after a FAILED migration. And how to fix it. My migration failed and made DPM crash from there. Not very nice :(

Se my post in this thread how to fix if crashed migration messes things up :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/43dedbb9-993d-4d6c-acab-159dc120e9c7/regular-dpm-2016-service-crash?forum=dataprotectionmanager

Donnerstag, 16. November 2017 09:41
  • Good luck with that :)

As I saw others had same issue as me I posted how to find the backup that makes your server crash after a FAILED migration. And how to fix it. My migration failed and made DPM crash from there. Not very nice :(

Se my post in this thread how to fix if crashed migration messes things up :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/43dedbb9-993d-4d6c-acab-159dc120e9c7/regular-dpm-2016-service-crash?forum=dataprotectionmanager

Thanks for that info, I think that would be very useful if my migrate job had ever actually failed. I contacted MS yesterday and they confirmed, as we suspected, the job was indeed still running. I was able to demonstrate the console locking up and the problems restoring files during the move, so they took diags for that.

This morning my move job finally finished and DPM is now acting normally again (So far). So it took 4 full days to migrate 6TB from one disk to another locally. This seems extremely slow to me, despite the amount of data. To top it off, all the restore jobs which had been hanging on me tried to run.

I've reported all these issues to MS and asked that they might consider a progress bar or estimated time of completion on the migrate tool. 

My advice to anyone is to use the migrate/move function with care. And if you do want to try it, start with very small datasources, as it does appear to be a very slow process. If you migrate large datasources be VERY patient and don't expect DPM to function normally during the move.

Freitag, 17. November 2017 09:50
  • Thanks for these information alig69

Something new from then ?

I'm currently facing same issue : it's so slow to move data across storage, there is barely 300GB after 1 week !!
    I tried first the powershell way, like documented here : 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2017/10/24/storage-migration-with-dpm-2016-mbs/

Now I'm trying the GUI way, which does exactly the same job, but with only one datasource at a time...

Is there a known issue with this ? How can that be so slow ??

I'm not sure I want to use the support for that...

Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 12:43
  • Hi,

same for us thís mthod is way too slow.

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Freitag, 11. Mai 2018 10:22