none
Two hours of work spread out over multiple days

Frage

• I have a task which is executed by 1 person

The task takes 2 hours to complete

When looking at the schedule, it divides the work in two days, where the first day 1.47 hours will be done and the second day 0.53 hours.

Why doesn’t project plan the work in 1 day with 2 hours of work ?

This happens with multiple tasks and multiple resources.

• Bearbeitet Piet111 Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:00
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 12:54

Antworten

• Hi,

It can be due to many things. If you have dependencies, you should check the predecessor finish date/time. To see the time, go to file/options and change the date format to have the date + time.

Then also check the project start date/time which should be aligned with the schedule options (file/options/schedule). Also the project calendar must be aligned with the same options (project start date/time and scheduling options).

Finally, the resource might have a different calendar, exceptions, or even the task might have a specific calendar. 

Please come to us when you'll get a chance to check those settings.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:05
  • Glad that it worked. Hard to say what happened... the task time might have changed due to a calendar update, leveling operation, actuals entered. One thing is sure: when you start to have actuals on a task, the actual work cannot move, so the start date will not change. And when the task is 100% complete, similarly it cannot be updated meaning that you cannot correct the finish date/time.

Hope this helps,

• Als Antwort markiert Piet111 Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 07:25
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 14:58

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

It can be due to many things. If you have dependencies, you should check the predecessor finish date/time. To see the time, go to file/options and change the date format to have the date + time.

Then also check the project start date/time which should be aligned with the schedule options (file/options/schedule). Also the project calendar must be aligned with the same options (project start date/time and scheduling options).

Finally, the resource might have a different calendar, exceptions, or even the task might have a specific calendar. 

Please come to us when you'll get a chance to check those settings.

Hope this helps,

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:05
  • Thank you for the tips.

I have adjusted the date format to be able to see the time too.

This gives interesting information. The assigned resource has the standard schedule assigned, just like all other resources.

I found the issue, but don't know why it happens.

There was a task that was already marked as completed and gave wrong information. the amount of work was 2 hours and listed as 0.55 day. It stared at a strange time (like 14:32) instead of a whole of half our (I don't have tasks defined in minutes). all other tasks were appending with a wrong time too.

When I selected the first task where this went wrong, I adjusted the completion status to 0% and everything corrected automatically. I immediately changed it back to 100% and everything stayed like it should.

Thank you very much for your help.

Of course I am very curious what exactly causes this, any idea ?

Montag, 4. Juni 2018 13:43
  • Glad that it worked. Hard to say what happened... the task time might have changed due to a calendar update, leveling operation, actuals entered. One thing is sure: when you start to have actuals on a task, the actual work cannot move, so the start date will not change. And when the task is 100% complete, similarly it cannot be updated meaning that you cannot correct the finish date/time.

Hope this helps,

• Als Antwort markiert Piet111 Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018 07:25
    Montag, 4. Juni 2018 14:58