none
Windows 8 Pro (64bit) Failing to resume from Sleep (/Hibernate?) - Error ID 41 (Kernel-Power)

Frage

• Laptop will not resume from 'sleep' when left overnight. It effectively cold boots losing any open documents.

Dell Vostro 3360, 8GB RAM, 3rd gen Core i5, 128GB SSD.
    Machine 2 weeks old, factory installed OS.
    All drivers, BIOS (A13) and Windows updates at latest available.

A) Sleep during the day - fine

1. Closing lid initiates sleep. Power light pulses.
    2. Opening lid within few minutes, system resumes without issue.

B) Overnight 'Sleep' - problem

1. Close lid, leave system overnight. Following morning, power light is out (hibernate?).
    2. Open lid (no reaction), press power button, system POST commences, then all lights go out and system does not boot.
    3. Secondary press of power button, system boots 'normally'. I.e. to a blank desktop, it does not resume the previous session, any open documents are not visible etc.
    4. Reviewing Event log (each morning) shows, every day - Event ID 41, Task Category (63): "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
    5. Battery is generally at 'full' (>90%). I.e. It did not 'shut down' / 'die' from a low power condition.

C) Manual Hibernate - fine

1. Enabling 'Hibernate' in Power menu.
    2. Then Manually hibernating, system goes to a power off state, no power light
    3. On press of power button, system boots back to desktop, all documents open as before.

D) Shut Down / Restart - fine

1. Both work as intended, no errors in log after a restart or a shutdown/boot.

Therefore, sleep and hibernate, re-boot are working as intended, only 'left overnight' has an issue.

Advanced Power Settings:

Sleep after:   15min / 30min
    Allow hybrid sleep: off / off
    Hibernate after:  never / never
    Lid close action: sleep / sleep
    Power button action: shut down / shutdown

Battery Low: 10%, notify
    Battery critical 5%, hibernate (this state never reached, battery is always near full on boot up)

hiberfil.sys is 6.6GB

'Turn on fast startup' on or off makes no difference to A, B, C or D.

Questions

1. In scenario B.1 if settings are hibernate 'never', is the system actually hibernating?
    2. B.4 - It appears the system has 'booted' without shutting down 'cleanly', if so what is this condition where power is off, it is not asleep or hibernating but has not 'shut down'?

Microsoft Technical Support's only suggestion was to turn off 'Turn on fast startup' which did not change the behaviour.

Help appreciated.

Many thanks
    Graham

• Bearbeitet Graham Laws Freitag, 18. Januar 2013 15:55 Added a headline
    Freitag, 18. Januar 2013 12:13

Antworten

• The Intel Rapid Start is definately the culprit.

Disabling it in the BIOS allows the system to sleep / hibernate & Resume without error as expected under Windows.

I.E system will 'sleep' through the night and resume without issue in the morning. If hibernate after x mins is set, then system hibernates as expected and resumes without issue.

The Intel Rapid Start is still not functioning correctly, there is a 8GB partition set aside on the SSD, and I have flashed to latest BIOS re-run IRST setup etc, BIOS defaults etc. But whenever enabled causes the system to 'die' losing unsaved work.

I am pursuing the IRST with Dell Technical Support as I want it working, however I will mark this thread as answered, as IRST was not the subject.

Update 23rd Jan: Dell have replaced the motherboard and now Intel Rapid Start is working correctly.
    • Als Antwort markiert Graham Laws Montag, 21. Januar 2013 17:03
    • Bearbeitet Graham Laws Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 12:35 Hardware issue - now resolved.
    Montag, 21. Januar 2013 17:03

Alle Antworten

• I have the same problem but with a Desktop.  Dell Studio XPS.  Noticed many people have this issue on several forum posts.  I am 99% sure this happens when the computer is trying to auto update in the middle of the night.  There are no crash dumps associated with the problem.

Nick

Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013 01:12
  • As Nick mentioned, try changing the settings so that the computer does not autowake. This setting can sometimes also be in bios (but I dont think that would be necessary to change). Try changing the autoupdate settings and the auto defragment settings.

As a note, when you have that problem, are there any lights blinking (such as blinking capslock or numlock)? I am asking because I had some similar problem. The computer would 'hibernate' but the ram would get corrupted.

Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013 02:09
  • I think my issue is related to Intel Rapid Start Technology (iRST) as the issue occurs after 120 minutes sleep.

1. Within iRST settings the timer can be set to 1 minute (from the default 120 mins).
    2. I then placed the system in sleep and waited 1 minute.
    3. The system then moved from S3 (sleep) to S4 (off)
    4. Then on attempted boot, it fails.
    5. Second press boots as normal, and a 'error 41' 'not shut down cleanly' is recorded in the log.

I'll do some more investigating, and post my findings. 

Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013 14:30
  • The Intel Rapid Start is definately the culprit.

Disabling it in the BIOS allows the system to sleep / hibernate & Resume without error as expected under Windows.

I.E system will 'sleep' through the night and resume without issue in the morning. If hibernate after x mins is set, then system hibernates as expected and resumes without issue.

The Intel Rapid Start is still not functioning correctly, there is a 8GB partition set aside on the SSD, and I have flashed to latest BIOS re-run IRST setup etc, BIOS defaults etc. But whenever enabled causes the system to 'die' losing unsaved work.

I am pursuing the IRST with Dell Technical Support as I want it working, however I will mark this thread as answered, as IRST was not the subject.

Update 23rd Jan: Dell have replaced the motherboard and now Intel Rapid Start is working correctly.
    • Als Antwort markiert Graham Laws Montag, 21. Januar 2013 17:03
    • Bearbeitet Graham Laws Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 12:35 Hardware issue - now resolved.
    Montag, 21. Januar 2013 17:03