none
SQL server database replication between 2 different domains

Frage

• 2 domains for 2 different offices in different locations

Here are links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/tutorial-preparing-the-server-for-replication?view=sql-server-2017

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/tutorial-replicating-data-between-continuously-connected-servers?view=sql-server-2017

Under "snapshot agent security", may I still use domain account not local computer user account? because no local computer account is allowed in my current place.

Can I use domain account instead of <Publisher_Machine_Name>\repl_merge, <Publisher_Machine_Name>\repl_snapshot and <Publisher_Machine_Name>\repl_distribution? 

How to secure data replication transmit over internet as they are 2 different office in different locations?

Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2018 20:18

Alle Antworten

• 1) yes, you can use a domain account as opposed to a local machine account. 

2) You would need to use a VPN for this. Most folks I know use OpenVPN, or Hamachi, or even a Microsoft vpn.

Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2018 20:28
  • Have further question about domain account

ServerA is under domain abc.com and has user account abc\user1

Domain 123.com has user account 123\user2

abc.com trusts 123.com

so may I use user account 123\user2 to create replication publisher on serverA(it is on domain abc.com)??? If I use 123\user2, I will get error message "Not valid windows user..." when setup snapshot agent account.

Any comments? Thanks

Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2018 22:54
  • This should work as long as 123\user2 is in the db_owner role in the publication/distribution database on Server A.

You may be able to use passthru authentication to get this to work.

Note that you will likely need to deploy everything via script as opposed to using the gui.

Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2018 11:00