none
Removing Hyper V Checkpoints RRS feed

• Frage

• I am trying to extend the disk but it mentions that "Edit is not available because checkpoints exists for this virtual machine". However I saw there is checkpoints but it is not able to be deleted. How can I proceed from it. The image as attached

Freitag, 8. September 2017 17:11

Antworten

• Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestion. My apologies for not updating here.

the issue was with the backup software which are not releasing the snapshots. I have export out the VM and remove the existing VM and import back the VM again. Did have some downtime though

Regards,

Peter

• Als Antwort markiert Niven Peter Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 07:07
    Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 07:03

Alle Antworten

• Try Shutting down teh VM in question and then delete the Checkpoints. ( looks like the VM is running as per the screenshots)

-VR

Venky Rao

Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 14:57
  • Hi Venky,

I have simulated another, powered it off but I am unable to find any delete snapshots as per the screen as attached

Thanks

Dienstag, 26. September 2017 07:32
  • Have you posted this in the Hyper-V group?  This one is for Virtual Server 2005.

You're more likely to get help here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

Dienstag, 26. September 2017 18:55
  • You can delete the checkpoint by just pressing the Delete button. 
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen David Swannanoa Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 16:25
    Samstag, 24. November 2018 09:27
  • That is so true!  I've been hitting this brick wall the past 24 hours, and that's all it is.  There's no right click "delete", or VM Properties menu "delete", or VM Actions menu "delete". Running or off, just highlight the checkpoint in time and physically hit your "delete" button. Immediately afterwards the "Merge in Progress" begins in the VM Status column.

There's a life lesson here somewhere. Thank you CoenieH.

Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2018 16:25
  • When there is a little "thing" on the snapshot icon it's created from for example veeam or some other backup software. It can be removed with powershell:

#Just remove the lingerging backup checkpoint like you would a normal one via PoSh 
    Get-VMSnapshot -ComputerName "MyHyperVHost" -VMName "VMWithLingeringBackupCheckpoint" | Remove-VMSnapshot

credits:

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/autorecovery-avhdx/

Dienstag, 7. Januar 2020 20:58
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestion. My apologies for not updating here.

the issue was with the backup software which are not releasing the snapshots. I have export out the VM and remove the existing VM and import back the VM again. Did have some downtime though

Regards,

Peter

• Als Antwort markiert Niven Peter Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 07:07
    Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 07:03