none
Raid 5 Can't replace disk with bad blocks

Frage

• We have a server 2012r2 with 5 x 2Tb disks in Raid5

The raid 5 is a software raid using the Server o/s and dynamic disks

One of the disks has bad blocks and shows 'errors' both in Diskpart and Disk Management.

The s/n of the disk with errors has been identified using WMIC

If the disk is removed (also removed and replaced using the same or different controler) the volume is not created and there is no option to do so using either diskpart or Disk Management

When the disk is connected back into the raid Disk Management offers the opportunity to 'Repair Raid' and uses a spare disk same size purchased for the purpose and from the same batch. The repair seems to run and Resynchronise but does not complete. When checking which disks are changed the new disk is in place but the disk removed is not the one with errors and the raid shows failed redundancy.

The same happens using diskpart and commands

sel vol=* [* is the volume letter]

repair disk=# [# is the replacement disk number]

Previously for other raid 5 failures I hame removed the disk and repaired the raid with a replacement and there has been no problem.

Does anyone have any idea of how to replace the faulty disk?

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 11:10

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

In general, once you repair raid-5, this should automatically go away.

May I ask whether the new-insert disk is recognized and working, though it cannot be added back to RAID5?

If it is working like a stand-alone disk, can you delete it and format it to back to a Basic disk? If so, test to format it to a Basic disk and try to rebuild Raid5 again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938528.aspx

If it still shows no clue, maybe you could check the workaround mentioned below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/e3654bbb-dcb2-40f5-b6aa-44eb65347774/trouble-recovering-a-failing-raid5-disk-array?forum=winserverfiles

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2018 02:54
  • Hi Mary

I have had a fair experience of repairing Raid 5 over the years and never experienced this.

The disks (there are several (4) I have tried) are the same size and from the same batch. All initialise and convert to dynamic without a problem. They can be converted to basic and back and are seen correctly in both diskpart and wmic. I have tried all these corrective measures and tried to rebuild but the faulty disk remains in the raid and another (disk recognised as good) is replaced.

Whilst https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/e3654bbb-dcb2-40f5-b6aa-44eb65347774/trouble-recovering-a-failing-raid5-disk-array?forum=winserverfiles seems to suggest a similar problem the option of copying 5-6Tb of data and then recreating the raid seems extreme and not really a solution. I am familiar with the basic consepts of raid 5; repair, reactivation, resyncing etc. but the raid is simply not allowing replacement of this disk. Normally I would remove a disk with errors and import a replacement disk then all would be OK but the volume will not reform with a replacement disk.

DISKPART> lis disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          238 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online          698 GB    19 MB        *
      Disk 2    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 3    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 4    Errors         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 5    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 6    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 7    Online         1863 GB  1863 GB   *
      Disk 8    Online         3726 GB      0 B        *
      Disk M0   Missing            0 B      0 B   *

DISKPART> sel vol=e

Volume 0 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> repair disk=7

DiskPart successfully repaired the selected volume.

DISKPART> lis disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          238 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online          698 GB    19 MB        *
      Disk 2    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 3    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 4    Errors         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 5    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 6    Online         1863 GB  1863 GB   *
      Disk 7    Online         1863 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 8    Online         3726 GB      0 B        *
      Disk M0   Missing            0 B      0 B   *

Duncan

Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2018 10:03
  • Hi Duncan,

As we known, in general, once  we replace the failed drive, then repair raid-5, this should automatically go away.

Maybe you could also check the thread discussed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9cf81fe0-2069-43d4-9306-31c7cbebaed2/how-to-replace-failing-drive-in-software-raid5?forum=winserverfiles

As you said, the method mentioned in above thread is a workaround not a solution. But if it still shows no clue, you may try the workaround.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 02:54
  • Hi Duncan,

Please follow the methods suggested by others and in case if that does not work for you and want to recover data from Raid 5 you can download the demo version of Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery- Technician version. You can do raid recovery even if the parameters are unknown. 

Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 04:36
  • 

Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Mary

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 06:37
  • Hi All

Thank you for the input. This is a working server that I only have free access to for a couple of hours a week for maintenance barring breakdowns. I have some replacement disks I intend to try swoping in among the thought above. There are 3 SATA connections I can use. I hope this weekend to make some further efforts to resolve the bad disk issue.

If / When I get an answer or more information I will post the outcome.

Regards

Duncan

Duncan

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 08:26
  • Hi,

If you get updates, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Mary

Montag, 16. Juli 2018 01:25