none
Budget Column Needs to be Set and Not Change Numbers

Frage

• Hello All,

I'm trying to find a column for Budget numbers, which will not change when I enter a number in it if percent or other columns change.  And it must be able to roll up, and have the letters "hrs" after it.

Currently, I experimenting with the Budget Work column, but it too will change numbers on me based upon input from other columns

Thanks

• Bearbeitet GUZZLR Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 11:49
    Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 11:46

Alle Antworten

• GUZZLR --

The Budget Work column is used only with a Budget Work resource, and Budget Work resources can only be assigned to the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Have you actually created a Budget Work resource and assigned to the Project Summary Task?  Regardless, I think the field you are looking for is named Baseline Work.  Assuming you save a Baseline in your project, the values in the Baseline Work column will not change when you enter progress.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 13:41
  • GUZZLR --

The Budget Work column is used only with a Budget Work resource, and Budget Work resources can only be assigned to the Project Summary Task (Row 0 or Task 0).  Have you actually created a Budget Work resource and assigned to the Project Summary Task?  Regardless, I think the field you are looking for is named Baseline Work.  Assuming you save a Baseline in your project, the values in the Baseline Work column will not change when you enter progress.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thanks for the reply, Ive tried Baseline Work, but it will not rollup to the summary bar, is there a way I can get it to rollup?

Thanks

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 14:06
  • GUZZLR --

Well, how did you save the Baseline?  From your description, it sounds like you are manually typing Baseline Work values.  If so, you are doing it wrong.

To save a Baseline, click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon.  In the Schedule section of the Project ribbon, click the Set Baseline pick list button and select the Set Baseline item on the menu.  In the Set Baseline dialog, leave all of the default settings selected and then click the OK button.  You should see that the Baseline Work value is set for every task, summary task, and the Project Summary Task in the entire project.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 15:41
  • The problem I've always had with setting a baseline, is I don't want to set the baseline for the entire project.  If I set the baseline for selected task, the Baseline Work does not rollup.

Is there a way to set baseline for selected task and have it rollup to the summary bar?

Thanks

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 16:00
  • GUZZLR --

Select only those tasks you want to baseline.  In the Set Baseline dialog, choose the Selected Tasks option and then select the To All Summary Tasks option as well.  The software will then roll up the baseline information to all of the summary tasks to which the selected tasks belong.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 16:12
  • I appreciate your help. I should have began with what I'm trying to accomplish, and he problems I'm having. Currently I'm on Auto Schedule.

I have 3 columns.

Column 1 = Remaining Work which I've renamed REV (for Remaining Earned Value)

Column 2 = Work, which I've renamed Budget

Column 3 = Actual Work, which I've renamed Actual

When I input:

50 for Work I get 50 hrs...

45 for Actual I get 45 hrs and Remaining Work automatically changes to 5 hrs. which is want I want to happen.

The problem is if I manually change the Remaining Work Column, then the Work (renamed Budget) changes, which I don't want, because I need the Work column to stay fixed. 

So, what I'm trying to accomplish is setting the beginning hour work load and have it set and not change.  Then, the remaining hours or actual hours automatically change as need be, based upon the set hour work load the task was originally estimated at.

And...have all 3 columns rollup to the summary bar.  In addition, as dates change the budget column 2 still must stay set.

Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for the help

Project 2013

• Bearbeitet GUZZLR Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 16:34
    Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 16:26
  • GUZZLR --

What you want is not how Microsoft Project works.  When you change the Actual Work and/or Remaining Work, the software WILL ALWAYS change the Work.  The only way to lock the original amount of Work is using the Baseline Work column.  Sorry.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 16:38
  • OK...thanks
    Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 18:43
  • Alternatively, use a custom number field [Number1] to input the work for each task. It will only have the number of hours. Specify roll up to sum. Then use a custom text field alongside it with a formula [Number1]&"hrs" to tack on the "hrs" text.
    Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2018 22:36