none
Cumulative Updates W10 (1709&1803) not downloading when using Express Installation Files

Frage

• Hello,

I do have troubles downloading Express Installation files in WSUS.

it all started for me with the 1709 2018-03 CU (KB4088776). Downloads will only start a few MB and then will be stuck in Downloading state. This is happening since then for every 1709 CU forcing me to switch back to normal Files install. Now I also noticed that it is not working for 1803 CU 2008-07 (KB4338819). The same behavior.

However the 1703&1607 CUs are working. I did make a own Lab environment where I can exactly reproduce the issue. It’s just a simple setup of a 2016 WSUS Server no Domain. And 4 W10 Clients(1607/1702/1709/1803) with locally entered WSUS. Located on another separated Internet Line. There I do have the same issue.

Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2018 10:47

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

The possible  problem is that the URL of the installation full-patched files is still cached on the affected client computers when you change to the download express installation files. Therefore, we need to update the cache on all client computers that connect the server for updates.

The file is reversed to your condition:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/974500/after-you-disable-the-download-express-installation-files-option-in-wi

I will also reappear the situation in my own lab to see the root issue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 04:47
  • Hi,

i can't even get so far that Clients will download them. As the WSUS isn't able to download them. And it was configured from scratch.

Florian

Donnerstag, 12. Juli 2018 07:18
  • Hi,

I do the practice in my lab.
    It shows that the drive is almostly full:

Therefore, there is no enough space for downlaoding the express installation files. Could you please check the size of the folder.

In addition, I recommend to download the full-patched updates instead of express installation files for saving the server space.

Hope it helps. Please contact to me if there is any problem.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 03:10
  • Hello,

Server does have plenty of space left (Real and Labserver). As i said 1703 is working without issues.

1709 has stopped since march.

i do NOT want to use the full Packages because of bandwith issues and data plan issues. (~3500+ Clients ...)

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 07:54
  • Hi,

Could you please check  the IIS setting.
    Check the IIS>WSUS Administrator>MIME types. If there is no MIME type for .esd, please add one for it:

I will reappear the problem again in my own lab to see how to fix it.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 10:09
  • Hello,

MIME Type is there and correct (default on server 2016)

br

Freitag, 13. Juli 2018 12:49
  • I Now even Downloaded Server 2016 Trail at home. And tried again. with the same result. I somehow can't imagine that now one else got this issue?

Steps I did:

Downloaded Server 2016 from www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/try 

Enabled WSUS Role

Synced only Windows 10

Switched to Express Install Files

Approved KB4338819 Server will download 693,93 MB and stop there (Full Patch has 4.822,40 MB)

when switching to Normal Install files the server will download the Patch without any issue (677,22 MB)

• Bearbeitet FloSchn Montag, 16. Juli 2018 06:09
    Montag, 16. Juli 2018 06:09
  • Hi,

with Server 2019 my issues are resolved.

regards

Freitag, 12. Oktober 2018 10:52
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 02:56