none
Clustered Workfolders with multiple roles

Frage

• Hi,

We have a question about work folders on windows 2016  failover cluster server.

We want to spread our users home folders on multiple file server roles in a two node windows failover cluster.

When deploying workfolders you add two generic services to the file server role.

But when we want to add same services again on next file server role these services is not available any more for selection.

Is it possible to design workfolders with multiple file server roles in a windows failover cluster?

Then I guess we need to have several instances of these services: Windows Sync Share and Sync Share Token Translation Service. Is that possible?

We have followed guidelines from https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2013/11/06/work-folders-on-clusters/

Dienstag, 12. Juni 2018 13:48

Alle Antworten

• Tvon,

The generic services can only be added to one file server role. If you have multiple file server roles, do not add the Work Folders services as generic services.

The only benefit of adding the generic services is the Work Folders services stop on the passive node. If the services remain running, you may notice ESENT errors due to operations running on the passive node that are unable to access the Work Folders metadata. These errors can be ignored.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dienstag, 12. Juni 2018 17:06
  • Thanks Jeff, 

I Played around with this stuff yesterday. If I skip the generic service, then the workfolder don't work when a failover occurs. The Sync service will need to be restarted after the disks have changed nodes. Any tips on that? 

Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2018 08:09
  • Tvon,

To investigate further, we need to collect traces. Please send me mail at jeffpatt at microsoft dot com and I'll share the diagnostic tool to collect the traces.

Thanks,

Jeff

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2018 21:55
  • Just to keep the thread alive, logs have been gathered and send. Awating respons. 
    Montag, 18. Juni 2018 14:13