none
Using MBS after DPM 2012 R2 upgrade

Frage

• I have recently upgraded from DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016 UR5, but would also like to benefit from the advantages with MBS. However, when upgrading the O/S to Windows Server 2016 I noticed that the LDM was still used and it also didn't work to have a ReFS volume and the current/old DPM volumes coexisting. I removed all volumes, created a ReFS volume and thought I could somehow point the present Protection groups to use this volume instead, but cannot find a way to do it. 

The data itself is not important to keep in this scenario, but I rather don't want to rebuild all the PGs. Or is it not supported to use MBS if the PGs has been used with the old/previous backup storage? 
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 07:21

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

You should not need to delete your Protection Groups for this, how did you add the volume to DPM?

1. To add a Disk to SCDPM 2016 as a Modern backup Storage Disk, configure your Volume with a Drive Letter, yes that’s correct, a drive Letter. SCDPM 2016 Modern backup Storage will use a a Simple Volume with a Drive Letter.
    2. You are also able to add a Friendly Name to your Volume, for example, Gold, Silver, Bronze to classify your Storage.
    3. Afterwards, SCDPM will create a cryptic folder on this Volume, in there all your Backups will be stored in VHDX files formatted with ReFS.
    4. When your create or modify a Protection Group, you now be able to select the Drive, where you want to store your Backups. So, for example, you can store you SQL Backups on a high performance Disk, and your HyperV Backups on a less high performance Disk.

Have a look here for more information:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2016/10/19/introducing-dpm-2016-modern-backup-storage/

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• Bearbeitet Leon Laude Montag, 14. Mai 2018 07:42
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 07:41
  • Hello Leon,

Thanks for your reply. At the moment, all datasources within the PG have the status "disk missing". I cannot see an option to change to use the ReFS volume instead. Only if I create a new PG, it will use ReFS and consequently MBS. 

/Jaan
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 08:02
  • Hi,

How does the disks look in Disk Management?

You could try:

1. Stop DPM
    2. In Disk Manager right click on the disk(s) with "Errors" and take it offline
    3. Once the disk is offline, right click and bring it back online
    4. Once it comes online, the volumes should now show as "Healthy" and the volume missing errors will no
    5. longer be present in DPM.

Th following SQL Script will list the Volume GUIDs for the missing volumes. 

select ag.NetbiosName, ds.DataSourceName, vol.MountPointPath, ds.DataSourceId,lr.Validity, vol.usage, vol.GuidName 
    from tbl_IM_DataSource as ds
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica as lr
    on ds.DataSourceId=lr.DataSourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server as ag
    on ds.ServerId=ag.ServerId
    join tbl_SPM_Volume as vol
    on lr.PhysicalReplicaId=vol.VolumeSetID
    and vol.Usage in (1,2) -- Replica=1, DiffArea=2
    and lr.Validity = 3  
    order by vol.guidname --NetbiosName

Then you can run mountvol.exe to list the volume GUIDs for all the volumes in the system and  look for them.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Montag, 14. Mai 2018 08:08
  • The only present volume is the ReFS volume - the old volumes are all gone as I deleted them manually (as I couldn't add the ReFS volume until they were deleted). 
    I have a backup of DPMDB so if needed I can recreate the volumes by restoring it and run dpmsync /reallocatereplica.

/Jaan
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 09:42
  • I just did a restore of the DPMDB and recreated the volumes (dpmsync -reallocatereplica). In Disk manager, now there is both a ReFS volume and those volumes which was created during the PG creation (before it was upgraded to 2016). However, when adding a secondary disk (perhaps MBS doesn't like dynamic disks?) the ReFS volume can be added in DPM, but it seems to be no way to "point" the PG to the ReFS volume instead. This only works when creating a new PG.

/Jaan
    • Bearbeitet Jaan Meijer Montag, 14. Mai 2018 12:10 Add new information
    Montag, 14. Mai 2018 11:22