none
Visio 2016 UML Sequence diagram connection points not evenly distributed

Frage

• Hi,

The connection points of Object Lifeline shapes and of Activation shapes are not evenly distributed (i.e. same distance between all present connectoin points).
    Furthermore the distribution of connectoins points are not aligned between Object Lifeline shapes and Activation shapes, thus making it very difficult to snap Message arrows and keeping them horisontal; and of course also difficult to achieve an even distance between the Message arrows.

Is there any fix for this?

Kind regards

MatsH

Dienstag, 10. Juli 2018 13:11

Alle Antworten

• Hi MatsH,

Would you mind to share a screenshot about the issue you encountered? Alternatively, you can send us a sample file of your current scenario via GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. We would open your problematic file in our test environment. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up :)

In Visio 2016, try to create a new UML Sequence diagram, drag Object Lifeline shapes and Activation shapes to the drawing, confirm if the glue to connection points.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2018 07:20
  • Hi Winnie,

Please see the 1st picture below for illustration of the issues I mention.

I have also sent a file to the @mail address you suggested. I have alos discovered one more strange behavior, depicted in the second picture; the presence of snap/connection points will end when the object lifeline exceeds a certain length, approximately 260 mm.

Kind regards
    Mats Hedin

• Bearbeitet MatsH1 Montag, 30. Juli 2018 12:00
    Montag, 30. Juli 2018 11:58
  • Hi MatsH,

I have the same problem of distribution with Visio 2016... it's a bug discovered 4 years ago but not yet fixed.
    The workaround is simple : do not use Metric units but US units (read this thread) :

Metric                               US

Regarding the limitation of the number of connection points, it is due to a 'hard' coded table. You can see it when you open the Shapesheet of the Lifeline or the Activation UML shapes. You can expand these objects by making them as Master shapes and adapting them to your needs.

One advice : Unzip your customized shapes library (yes, it's a zip archive) and modify the Master1.xml file with a real XML file editor and reZip the library folder respecting the file and folder hierarchy...

Hope this helps

Best regards

-- Olivier

• Bearbeitet Olivier.V Freitag, 10. August 2018 09:15
    Freitag, 10. August 2018 02:07
  • Thanks Olivier!

This is really helping :-)

-matsH

• Bearbeitet MatsH1 Freitag, 10. August 2018 12:33
    Freitag, 10. August 2018 12:06