none
Exchange Server 2013 - Messaging.old creation

Frage

• Hey All,

Firstly thank you in advance for any input that I get on this one. Always appreciate others taking the time out to help their fellow techies.

We have an Exchange 2013 Server that is creating Messaging.old folders in "C:\ProgramFiles\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Queue"

I can't seem to find any events in event logs that correlate to the creation of these folders.

The last one I've got is titled 20180626150413 so naturally I've gone into event logs on the 26\06\18 @ 15:04:13 and nothing. 

Can somebody let me know what causes the creation of these? My understanding has always been that when the Transport Service falters for any reason it dumps the que into these folders. Recovers what it needs / can and then leaves the copy in the Messaging.old folder should a exchadmin need to recover anything. 

However I'm not seeing anything in event logs around these times about the Trasnport Service or otherwise. Could anything else cause it?

Best Regards Steve - PC Quick Tips

Montag, 2. Juli 2018 10:57

Alle Antworten

• Does this help?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/56c5d20d-1fac-412d-bddb-3a27fefdefd6/exchange-2013-cu2-quotmailqueuequot

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018 00:38
  • Hi Steve,

Do you means Messaging.old under %ExchangeInstallPath%TransportRoles\data\Queue?

The Messaging.old folder is created when the Exchange Transport Service encounters problems and performs self recovery, then the old queue database files will be moved to a sub folder starting with the name messaging.old*

We can delete this folder to safe data quota, and it will not affect normal Exchange services.
    Note: for a safer side please copy or leave recent folder on your local system, and remove old folder.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.
    Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018 07:53
  • Good Morning thank you for your reply,

Yes I mean the \data\queue folder (as stated in my original post)

I am aware that we can delete these, I am aware that their creation is due to the exchange transport service faulting, however we have an exchange server that is creating these regularly and there is nothing I can see in event logs related to exchange at the time of their creation.

Is there anything else I can look into to try and diagnose why this exchange server keeps throwing out messaging.old folders as they're huge in size and keep adding up over time triggering back pressure. 

Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018 08:46
  • Sorry it doesn't, this was the first article I found when searching about the issue.

Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018 08:46
  • What cumulative update are you running?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2018 16:01